Monday, January 20, 2014

The Year in Music: 1996

My friend V, who inspires me to write these blogs when he posts his own first, wrote this is the year music died for him. In a way I am with him, this was near the beginning of my 'lost years' where I didn't listen to much music at all, let alone new stuff. A story best left behind really, so a lot of the music in my list was 'discovered' later, though some I knew from that time. Or I knew the songs, but didn't care for them and over time grew to love them. I think Oasis, Crowded House, Beck, and Jamiroquai were the main bands on my radar! I know I came to The Eels, Regurgitator, and Jewel a few years later. I also hated Savage Garden, No Doubt and Alanis. But have come to enjoy their music over time. Life is funny sometimes...
 
Of course it was the year Spice Girls, Silly Dion, and The Macarena were thrust upon us, so I understand why music died for my friend, they were not the reason for me, but I do concur! 
 
So when I searched the charts of 1996 and perused my friend's list, this is what I came up with.
 
On the Aussie front things were pretty good with Spiderbait - Buy me a Pony, Smashing Pumpkins - 1979, Regurgitator - I sucked a lot of cock, Crowded House - Everything is good for you, and Savage Garden - To the moon and back.
 
 
Some biggies were No Doubt - Just a girl, Alanis Morissette - Ironic, George Michael - Jesus to a child, Joan Osbourne - One of us, Pulp - Disco 2000.
 
 
Then there was the usual amount of fun songs with Fun Lovin' Criminals - Scooby Snacks, Shaggy - Boombastic, and OMC - How Bizarre.
 
 
Indies were slowing a bit but we still had Everclear - Santa Monica, Deadstar - Don't it get you done, Natalie Merchant - Wonder, Merril Bainbridge - Mouth, and Beck - Devil's haircut and Where it's at.
 
 
I also loved Hole's version of Gold Dust Woman, and Tracy Chapman's Give me one reason.
 
 
My Top Five (Six) were as follows:
Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai
Funky and cool, loved to dance to this. I think we were all a bit in love with Jay Kay and his hats!
 
 
Novocaine for the soul - The Eels
I loved The Eels, so melancholy, with shades of dark and light. This is a great clip too.
 
 
Firestarter - Prodigy
I really cannot explain my love of this song, it just gets the blood thumping and there is something disgustingly charismatic about Keith...you can't take your eyes of him!
 
 
Who will save your soul - Jewel
Bless Jewel, what a beautiful voice she has, with those poetic lyrics and lovely melodies, it was Hands I fell for in a few years time and then came back and 'discovered' all of this!
 
 
Champagne Supernova and Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
I think Oasis pretty much saved me this year. These two songs in particular I adored, still do. Don't Look Back in Anger may be more perfect than Wonderwall. Great song, great clip from an iconic British album.
 
 

No comments: