Friday, January 1, 2016

2016...what will you bring???

I haven’t done New Year’s Resolutions for a long time. I used to do complex Projects, but as I get older I realise a few simple goals are all you need. Nothing to stress you, but things to push you a little out of your comfort zone and enough to think about so you feel some sort of achievement.

Whenever I think of New Year’s Resolution, I think of this Ab Fab moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-itpSwRrcMw

I've been reading M Train by the beautiful Patti Smith and here is a quote:

"The transformation of the heart is a wondrous thing, no matter how you land there."

So this brings me to my first goal for 2016 - to be freer with my love and let my poor wounded heart be transformed. It may appear to some I am a heart on my sleeve, oversharing kind of girl (and I am) but I do keep my most personal stuff very close to my heart and self. I will probably continue to do so in terms of sharing (no one needs to know everything!) but I will prise the steely walls around my heart open a little more, to let love in...in whatever shape or form it comes in. This of course brings more opportunity for it to be wounded - and it probably will - but it also allows for more beauty, and this is what I need for it's transformation. In my experience some amounts of beauty and love can often make up for large amounts of pain and suffering. So thank you Patti for your words and also to my lovely friend Jayne, who has been pruiking the phrase, I Love You, No Big Deal...although as I tell her, it is a big deal!

My second goal goes hand in hand with the first - continue on my online journey looking for love. This whole online thing was an unexpected development late in 2015 and to be honest I don't expect to find true love there, but it helps me understand myself more, hones in on what I am looking for, and gives me the opportunity to mingle and feel more comfortable with those I do not know. For an introvert this is a big deal and will assist me not to screw up if I actually do meet The One! My first piece of work towards this is to tidy up my online profiles, thanks to suggestions and realities given to me by three very special friends. You know who you are!

My third goal is  - to travel more - smaller trips, discover outside my little world, have adventures, catch a train somewhere new or to Sydney to escape in the big city, drive to the country, stay somewhere overnight, or have weekends away, or just a day out. I'm looking for willing participants, so don't be afraid to put your hand up!

My fourth goal is - to see more live music - when I couldn't flesh out a top ten for 2015 I realised how shameful my viewing of live music was, this needs major adjusting in 2016. Again, I am after willing participants.

My fifth and final goal is - to keep hold of my clarity and mojo - I lost it a few times in 2014/2015, I did find it but it phased in and out until later in 2015. This was terribly disconcerting for me, depression and anxiety took hold in quite a severe way. I managed to shake it and feel pretty darn good most of the time at present, which is all any of us can ask. But I need to up my tools for doing this better. There are a whole range of things I already do but probably need to add to to feel better and keep tabs on myself: exercise more, spend time near the water, read more, meditate morning and night, write more, share my feelings with people who understand and make me feel loved, don't be so hard on myself, tell others when I am feeling low, and simply challenge myself to grow into a better person.

On top of these 5 goals, I will continue with Project 42, Project Read, and Project declutter as they are all now part of my life, and important tools for help me achieve these five goals.

I look forward to 2016, it's challenges, and adventures. Time with friends and family, love, fun, escapades, and farnarkling. I already have booking to see David Sedaris; Hoodoo Gurus, Violent Femmes, Died Pretty, Sunnyboys, & Rat Cat; and Madonna coming up in the first quarter of the year. 

I have a very good feeling about this year my friends and I wish you all love, peace, happiness, and health.

No comments: