Friday, June 3, 2022

ABBA

 ABBA!!!

They have been on my mind with the avatar concerts commencing in London. I saw them arrive at the preview and got incredibly emotional. They looked great, and seeing them all together, happy and well, really got to me. In a good way of course.

See, I have been listening to ABBA my entire life, well since I was about 5. So that is over 45 years. They have always brought me joy, and whilst they probably wouldn't make a top ten of my favourite bands, they were the first.

So I decided it was time to commemorate that love on my blog.

But there was so much going on in my head, so many memories connected to ABBA, not just from my childhood when they were big, but my entire life. It was difficult to make sense of it all.

I made some notes of what came immediately to me and then made some phone calls, to my parents and to my partner-in-crime from the time, my younger sister, Karen. They helped fill in any gaps and validate the earlier memories I wasn't sure about.

ABBA was the first real music I was drawn to. I was little, I cannot remember what I saw or heard first, but it would most likely be a clip on Countdown. When I rang my parents to confirm this, Mum said yes, Molly brought ABBA out to Australia and you kids (that's me and my younger sister Karen) just loved them. She said I was in Kindergarten, so that made me 5 and Karen 3!
 I also love how Mum references Molly like he was a family friend...in reality he kinda is, we all loved Countdown...but that is another post for another time, actually that is probably a book!

And we were really lucky, ours was a music loving family. Having music to play and listen to or watch on shows like Countdown, Solid Gold, or Sounds was encouraged.

We loved the music clips and danced around to them. I was brunette so I was Frida, and Karen was blonde so she was Anna. We just exuded joy thinking of them, dancing and singing to them, and we had the moves down pat. And we knew every song by heart. Bjorn and Benny were musical geniuses. We loved the costumes, and had long t-shirt dresses, and tried to fashion their fashion from whatever we could find around the house. We were also desperate to get ABBA t-shirts. Mum said we begged her for them, and we were lucky enough to get them.

I could only find this picture, but I know there is one where we are much younger and each wearing an ABBA shirt with big grins on our faces!


Before I collected the remainder of their catalogue on vinyl over the past few decades, I only had one record of theirs. ABBA: The Album - the concept album with Thank You For The Music on. I swore we had Arrival, as I distinctly remember the helicopter. Karen confirmed we did have it, but on cassette. We had a few cassettes, she said, which makes sense, because when I brought those vinyl copies, I knew nearly every song, album tracks and all. So we had obviously flogged those poor cassettes to death. Most probably on the portable cassette player Karen won off The Breakfast Club with Alex Wileman. We think that is what it was called, I swear Poppa Ryan was also involved. Let me know if you remember?

We were obsessed, like most young girls in the 70s. Their music was really suited to young girls and boys at the time. Lots of fast paced pop, heart warming ballads, operatic stylings, pomp, and joy, so much joy. Those fabulous piano vamps and arpeggios from Benny, all with a twinkle in his eye. Then add in those dazzling films clips, highly stylised, with fabulous hair and fashion. Heavenly, and we were in it!

Of course, looking back as an adult, and as someone who knows a little about music. Their songs were complex, and difficult to replicate. So the ease of which they made it, well, that is even more brilliant. Bjorn and Benny were geniuses!

I don't think people today really realise how big they were, especially in Australia. We devoured every piece of information we could, magazine and newspaper articles, they were often on the news, especially when they toured here. We had to wait to see ABBA: the movie on television, but what a thrill that was.

But it wasn't long until their star fell.

In the 80s - believe it or not - they were super daggy. Kind of a joke, which I always thought was unfair and I still played them. While I didn't exactly hide my love for them, but I wasn't shouting it from the rooftops either. It was seriously uncool to even say their name.


When I got a new stereo with a CD player, it was one of the first CDs I bought. A Startrax compilation with a teal cover that cost me less than $10 at K-Mart. That was a steal in those early days of CDs, which shows how unimportant they were. Apparently this is now rare!!!



Real fans stuck with ABBA, and that was me.

Move forward to my 21st. It was 1991, and I had a 60s/70s party. Surely it would be ok to play ABBA? So I left my Startrax CD with a pile of other carefully selected music near the CD player for that evening.

As the night wore on, some of us were sitting by candlelight in the garage and someone put Fernando on, and we had a sing-a-long. It was a magnificent moment and one I will always cherish. No one laughed or made fun of them, everyone sang along genuinely and beautifully.

The following year, Erasure released Abba-esque, where they covered Lay All Your Love On Me, SOS, Take A Chance On Me, and Voulez-Vous. I bought the video, cause the visuals were so magnificent. You can relive it all in the links here. I was obsessed with them at the time.

I like to think they started them trending again. Although trending wasn't really a word back then!

A few years later a little film called Muriel's Wedding featured ABBA. I remember sobbed quietly in the cinema when Rhonda and Muriel/Mariel performed Waterloo.  Seriously, one of the most glorious scenes in movie history. When Muriel says she wants her life to be as good as an ABBA song, every ABBA fan knew exactly what she meant.

Later the same year, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert also celebrated ABBA. ABBA Gold was released and they were hot again.

This, of course, irritated me. All these Johnny Come Latelys with ABBA Gold, as I said at the time, no real fan of ABBA starts their journey with ABBA Gold, lol!

And then there was Mama Mia...sigh.

I never saw the stage show, but I was not a fan of the movie. I just didn't get it. I know, I know, everyone loves it. But it is not for me. I would rather hear ABBA sing ABBA...or Erasure.

And so they were always there in the decades that followed, in the background always, never really hidden, just not at the forefront of my listening experiences.

But I still had a few adventures left with my beloved band.

As I got more into singing - I had always sung, but now I was in a choir - I tried singing ABBA properly. It was bloody difficult. Those girls have amazing voices. Anna, an operatic Soprano range, and Frida, a Mezzo-Soprano. Together, my goodness - those harmonies - that is a sound that just cannot be replicated. Some songs I can sing ok, but some of those high notes are just impossible. Dancing Queen specifically.

But there was this one time...when I pretty much nailed it. I was dating a musician who loved ABBA. I often sung with him, trying out songs he wanted his band to perform. He was always needling me to sing ABBA. I always said no. But this one time after a few wines, I said yes. The first run through was shockingly bad. Or rather unshockingly bad. But then I just let everything go and closed my eyes and went for it and like 90% nailed it, which is enough. We finished and were gobsmacked and I remember we looked at each other with a WOW look. Neither of us said anything, I never seriously attempted it again. I think it was just one of those one off things. Of course, I still sing along with it, it's a little sloppy, but that is ok.

And then there was this crazy time I dated a guy called Fernando! Seriously!!! Of course he hated ABBA, so I had to keep my thrills within. To make things even more surreal, our first date was Eurovision weekend. My friends were beside themselves, imagine how I was. But unfortunately (or actually fortunately) it was not meant to be. It took a while for me to listen to Fernando again. How I wish I had said to him, Can you hear the drums? If only to annoy him!

I have a few other ABBA memories that mean a lot. 

The first time I heard First Aid Kit (a stunning Swedish - of course - folk duo, sisters Klara and Johanna Soderberg) cover ABBA I was in tears. They bloody nail one of my favourite songs, Chiquitita. There is sound of the first time they play it live and stills. They organised some cool ABBAesque outfits.

The sound isn't great, but then they did it again and it was much better and the visuals were all there. ABBA would be proud, and they looked fabulous. Their version brings me to my knees and makes my eyes very wet.

But this really takes the cake emotionally, when the splendid Richard Gill passed, they had a flash mob sing Thank You For The Music, it really showcases the gift that is ABBA.

So Thank YOU for the Music ABBA, you have done enough for the world.

But NO, after years of saying no to touring, they came back. With a new album, songs and a 'concert'. OK, they are avatars, but it is their voices. I am conflicted over all of this, it feels like a gimmick. And yet, when I hear or see anything regarding it, I get the shivers and tears form in my eyes. 

In their 70s, they were never really going to tour, the girls especially shying away from the experience. Whilst they still look amazing, I get it, they are not the babes they once were. So I'm just going with it. If the avatar thingie tours, would I go? You better believe it!

While I have been reminiscing and writing this, I have been revisiting all the albums in order and making lists and reviews - see below.

How lucky am I to have had this joyous band be part of my life!

I hope, if you are a fan, it stirs up your own memories. Please share them with me, I would love to hear them.

Cathy's Top 20 Songs

Of course, it's all about the music. Absolute perfect pop, soaring ballads, with a little bit of rock. The genius that is Benny and Bjorn knows no bounds, and their input for a short decade is beyond impressive. I couldn't choose a top 5 or even a top 10. There is simply too much to choose from. So 20 it is, I am unsure about the order, the top five would remain unchanged, the rest, I guess it depends on the day.

Chiquitita - has always been my favourite, it totally showcases their stunning voices and harmonies. Whilst a melancholy song, it is uplifting, and the guitar and piano arpeggios are delightful.

Fernando - I think this is their masterpiece. Very moving and sentimental. Frida never sounded better, and her hair is next level in that clip. 

SOS - From the piano opening and the dramatic vocals with the pop infused chorus, I love the complexity of this one. Great singalong and top dancing.

Thank you for the music - I love how this starts off like a story against the piano and then becomes anthemic. But also utterly and unapologetically sentimental. A song for music lovers, you cannot not smile singing or listening to this. Also, Anna's gold boots...

Take a Chance on me - perfect pop, a wall of sound, catchy, great clip. It is cheeky and sexy and just loads of fun. 

Hasta Manana - I loved singing this when I was young, and still do. The harmonies are divine and easy to sing along. It also has a spoken word section, always a love of mine.

Super Trooper - great jingly uplifting vibe. Happy smiles, warm vocals, great pop beat. This is so catchy, it soars.

Dancing Queen - this is simply perfect, that piano vamp, the vocals, the warmth, the range of the vocals, the subject matter, the disco vibe. When you look up pop this is the only thing you need to know. And those royal coloured satin/velvet outfits!

Ring Ring - rock/pop, fabulous! great sound, brass and all sorts of sounds you don't normally hear in pop songs. And you so get the lyrics, whilst a little dated these days, they summed up life pre mobile perfectly!

Tiger - is very different to their other songs, more rock, sexier, and very cool.

Tropical Loveland - ABBA does Reggae, ok, Reggae lite, but it works, as only they could make it.

Waterloo - one of their best, the actual single has a fabulous wall of sound feel, loud and eruptive. But the Eurovision version is great, remembering it is live. Such joy!

Winner Takes It All - another dramatic ballad, but how beautiful do they sound. Majestically heart breaking, the ultimate break up song.

Nina, Pretty Ballerina - just a joyous pop song about a ballerina, what little girl wouldn't love this one.

Knowing me, Knowing you - another great song, but listen to the lyrics, walking round an empty house, tears in my eyes. Genius!

The Name of the Game  - seemingly more sophisticated, loads of depth, great chorus. 

Eagle - laid back ABBA, hugely underrated song. And the chorus soars like the bird itself.

Money, Money, Money - another great piano beginning, this one builds, very dramatic, Frida's voice is strong, and they are obviously having loads of fun 

Mamma Mia - I have to be honest, because of the play/movie, this can get on my nerves. But take that away and you have the essence of what they are, pure pop, fun and comfort. Plus the genius of THAT clip, with those moves. How can you not love it!

People Need Love - a very early 70s vibe, for their first single. Very catchy, and the seeds of what they will become are within. Oh yeah, and then there's the yodel at the end!

THE ALBUMS

Ring Ring, 1973

This is their debut album, released in 1973. Ring Ring is the hit, and it still holds up well today. Nina, Pretty Ballerina and  People Need Love are other stand outs. People Need Love was their first single that rated. The other tracks are all very listenable, with a couple bordering on country.




Waterloo, 1974

The album and the song that broke them. Waterloo was of course the now famous single from when they won Eurovision. It's a bloody good song. Hasta Manana is another favourite, I love singing the falsetto/operatic tune. The album tracks that stand out to me are the Kiss inspired Watch Out, with some lovely melodic oh la las from the girls. And the peppy What About Livingstone. Waterloo's other hit was Honey Honey, but I can take or leave that one.




Abba, 1975

The big hits off this one were Mamma Mia, SOS, I do, I do, I do, I do, I do, and Rock Me. I really love SOS. Hey Hey Helen was a minor hit and not bad. Bang-A-Boomerang, an ode to Australia is also good. My other favourite on the album is Tropical Loveland, a bit of a reggae infused pop tune, very catchy. Man in the Middle is also a bit of a funky/reggae pop with the boys taking on most of the vocals. Then, there is this rock classical piece called Intermezzo No. 1 that is quite something. Totally instrumental and a precursor to some of the soundtrack work they would do later. This is a great album, all killer, no filler!



Arrival, 1976

This was the big one, ABBA in a helicopter. I swore we had a copy of this but not to be found anywhere. A chat with my sister, she remembered we had it on cassette not vinyl. aha, long gone of course. But we would have flogged it and the others we had. The big hits were their masterpieces Fernando and Dancing Queen. Both songs still hold up beautifully today. There as also Knowing Me, Knowing You and Money Money Money. Also Then I Kissed the teacher And Tiger, which is a personal fave. That's Me and Why Did It Have to be Me are also great.  As are My love, my life and Arrival. This is their best album without a shadow of a doubt. 



ABBA: The Album, 1977

This was a 'concept album, and the first album I ever received, from my parents for my 8th birthday in 1978. Eagle and Name of the Game are great but Take A Chance and Thank You for the Music are the biggies and absolute faves here. 




Voulez-Vous, 1979

Voulez-Vous is a good album, It has Voulez-Vous which is ok. But then there is I had a Dream which is lovely, and the rocky Does Your Mother Know. And then there's the superb Chiquitta, a masterpiece in my opinion. The album tracks are very Disco, and it is light and fun, as ABBA should be.



Super Trooper, 1980

Super Trooper was brilliant, showing ABBA had what it took to take it into the 80s (well for that album anyways). The 1-2 punch of Super Trooper and The Winner Takes it ALL was followed by the groovy, On and On and On. Andante Andante is also lovely. Side 1 opens with the gorgeous Happy New Year. I also love Our Last Summer, and Lay all Your Love on Me.



The Visitors, 1981

OK, the is the dud album. One of Us is good, and The Visitor ok, and that is all.



Voyage, 2021

I really like this album. I haven't listened to it enough to love it. It feels familiar but different. I cannot explain it. The songs are instantly listenable but yet, I have to say it, it isn't their old stuff. And that is ok. They have a lovely mix of those sentimental, melancholy power ballads that they do so well, and the pop they are so loved for.







Thank you for coming on this little walk down my musical memory lane.
I have enjoyed immersing myself in ABBA.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you did ABBA proud in your blog. It is always an uplifting feeling when one of their songs comes on the radio or plays in a movie. We should all say “Thankyou for the Music” 💜💜💜

Cathy said...

Awww, thank you for commenting. It was quite emotional to write, but also uplifting and joyous.

drdrdr said...

Three comments from me on this excellent blog post. (1) Yes, I'm an ABBA fan, mostly for their early stuff, and I'll confess that Mrs Drdrdr and I each have an ABBA pillowcase ... which we can't find in the linen press. When I Kissed the Teacher was appropriately a favourite during our courting days. LOL (2) The Abba Museum opening in Stockholm three weeks before we were due to visit friends who live just outside of Stockholm. They asked where we'd like to go and I said that the museum had just opened and they replied, "Hey, we can visit the Royal Palace, we've never been there ourselves!" So ... we did the Palace. (3) The revival of ABBA's music thanks to Muriel, Priscilla and Mamma Mia (stage and film) has been nice - a nostalgic set of refreshers. (4) I have the ABBA Gold music book and the music is quite complex and has interesting sections which add 'colour'. (5) I gave away the book 'Bright Lights, Dark Shadows'. From memory, the first 50% of the book was pre-ABBA stuff, with a lot of focus on their parents and each member's upbringing.

Bill said...

YES! Tropical Loveland is underrated ABBA. And owes just a little bit to Cat Stevens' Wild World.

Cathy said...

Thank you RObert, I think that is 5 comments lol, but I love all the stories, especially your courting stories!

ANd yes Bill, I can see the Cat influence in Tropical LOveland, I have always loved that song and agree, underrated!