Monday, December 19, 2022

BE MY GURU

I have loved the Hoodoo Gurus for a long time. 

I loved My Girl, but it wasn't until I heard Like WOW, Wipeout, that I became a fan. The 60s kitsch and the drum beat sucked me in and I have never looked back. 

I was 15.

I immediately went out and bought Mars Needs Guitars, and then Stoneage Romeos.

I loved their 60s influenced pop, and their love of paisley, which matched my love of paisley at the time (and ever since).

I learnt Bittersweet on the guitar, and played those albums over and over.

Stoneage Romeos still remains a favourite, every song a gem. One of the all-time best debut albums and still in my top 10 albums of all-time.

I continued to love them and buy their albums, then CDs through my teen years and into adult.

And then I saw them live!

I can remember the first time I saw them live and I was blown away. Hoodoo Gurus have always sounded great, possibly better live. I cannot remember when it was and I am fairly certain it was at The Palais Royale. It would have been the very late 80s. I have seen Hoodoo Gurus more times live than possibly any other band, easily 30 times, possibly more. I don't know exactly. In the early 90s they toured Newcastle a lot. One of the members, Mark I think, lived in Maitland. I saw them every time they toured, usually at The Palais.

I knew every song, got there early, took position at the front, and had a blast of a time singing and dancing. As time moved on and crowds got rowdier, I had to forego that favourite position for my now favoured up the back to the right. 

This band, I still love them and have not seen for a long time. They rarely come to Newcastle anymore, I don't know why. I have heard rumours that Newcastle crowds and nasty crowds (in recent times) and it doesn't surprise me. I may not listen to their music as much as I used to in my teenage years, but their music still makes me smile when I hear it.

When they toured recently I didn't get tickets, and it was during COVID times and things were being cancelled and postponed everywhere.

So when very good friends gifted us spare tickets they had for the many times postponed Horden Pavillion shows, we jumped at it.

It was a miserable rainy night and the 4 of us had a great Italian dinner early. Early to ensure we located some seats for our aging bones in this GA only concert. 

I had not been to the Hordern in years but as soon as I walked in the room it all came back to me. We located great seats and rested, chatting excitedly.

The support was a cute all girl band called The Buoys, a little bit punk, a little bit The Bangles, a little bit The Go Gos. We loved them.


Next up, The Dandy Warhols, who I have never seen. Again, they were excellent, and edgy and exactly what you would expect. They were slightly indulgent, and very loud, and rocky and poppy. 



Alexandra and Andrew, went down for a dance and to take some photos up close. The venue was very very packed, Alastair and I decided to stay put.

Finally, it came time for The Gurus, and they sounded amazing. They were on fire, it was an excellent gig. I had not seen them for a while, so I was worried they may have lost their charisma and shine. I have no idea why I was worried, I have never seen them do a bad gig, or even mildly off. 




They played songs from their new album, which I have not heard, and they blended in seamlessly. And played loads of old stuff including loads from Stoneage Romeos. Dave sounded great, although he said he had a bug and felt he wasn't singing well...he was. Brad also sounded great, on fire, as were the entire band.

These men, well into their 60s now, sounded as fresh as back in the day. It was a thoroughly enjoyable concert.

As they ended with Like WOW, Wipeout, I said to ANdrew, that was amazing, although they didn't play one of my all-time favourites, Leilani.

AND then they came out for another encore, with all the support bands to do a phenomenal version of Leilani, I was beyond thrilled!




What a way to finish up.

I do hope I get to see them again soon, but if I do not, I know I saw them at their very best!



Setlist

World of Pain

Tojo

The Right Time

Don't Try to Save my Soul

Another World

Death Defying

Hang with the Girls

Dig It Up

I Want You Back

Chariot of the Gods

My Girl

Come Anytime

Poison Pen

I Come from Your Future (Brad)

Bittersweet

Miss Freelove 69

1000 Miles Away

I was a Kamikaze Pilot

Encore

Be My Guru

What's My Scene

Like WOW Wipeout

Encore

Leilani - with everyone from The Dandys and The Buoys


No comments: