Saturday, May 13, 2023

BEATNIX

In my early 20s I saw Beatnix a lot. I was getting back into The Beatles, and whilst not the fan I am today, I was loving them and how wonderful to see this great tribute band if I couldn't see the real thing.

I should also add my Dad was/is a huge Beatles fan. He would order their albums and singles from overseas and saw them in Sydney. We grew up with The Beatles, and listened to their music like other children would listen to nursery rhymes. So they were always there. In my teens, I loved their early music and Lennon was king, then I withdrew for a few years, a mix of over-exposure and my way of teenage rebellion, lol. But I came back, we always find our way back to greatness.

I used to be at The Palais Royale most weekends, my lovely friend Jen's boyfriend was the head barman there. He would drive us in early, start work, we would have dinner somewhere and come back to see whatever was on, and then wait for him to close and drive us home. It was a pretty great period in time. We had to pay for tickets to big events, and our drinks, but an OJ would get a nip of vodka in it or a vodka and OJ would get a second nip, lol!

Beatnix toured regularly at the time, so we saw them a lot. I loved them so.

I had not seen them in decades, occasionally they would pop up at Lizottes, and I thought I should go and see them, but was worried they would not be as good as I remembered them. When I found out Andrew, also a huge Beatles fan (how lucky am i!!??), had never seen them but had wanted to, I knew we had to go and see them. Within weeks of this conversation, they were advertised as coming soon. I got us tickets to a Sunday lunch.

Lizottes is always a quality night out, and I had never done lunch but it was just as good.

We had a good table and a good meal and out they came.



First half in those grey matching suits and mop top wigs. The first number was a little shakey, but once they found their groove everyone was smiling and singing along.

It was pure joy!

We had smiles from ear to ear.

They were tight. 2 older members have probably been in it from Day one, and the younger ones were doing fine under their watchful eye.


They played everything and anything from the red period.

After a short break they came back out, this time in full Sergeant Pepper's regalia. The blue set was infinitely better, but these are my preferred songs. They kept to the well known and safe songs from this era, which makes perfect sense.



I was just thrilled that they really were as good as I remembered them, and Andrew was super impressed too. We had a great time, and I totally recommend checking them out if you get the chance.

No comments: