Thursday, January 18, 2024

THE CRUEL SEA

Back in the early 90s, The Cruel Sea were the bomb!

Tex Perkins swaggered in and they won ARIAS and hearts of indie rockers.

I first saw them at The Big Day Out in 1994, it was a hot day and I was with my bf at the time, he headed to see something else and I went up into the back of the grandstand for shade. They were wonderful, and Tex oozed from all the way back on the stage and the nickname and word Texy was invented.

I also saw them at The Cambridge, on a date I cannot remember.

So after all these years, 30 in fact, yeah 30, we headed back to the Enmore on a hot sticky night for The Honeymoon is Over 30th Anniversary Tour.


The support was The Wraylettes, an all-girl band. Dressed in shimmery dresses and go go boots, they played mostly covers of 60s instrumental music and had the audience in the palm of their hands. If you ever get the chance to see the, you must. Incredibly cool and excellent musicians.


The Cruel Sea came on to great acclaim and excitement and off they went. They sounded so very sharp and brilliant. They are a remarkable band. Such a sharp yet laid back guitar sound.




Tex looked and sounded better than I think I have ever heard. He was at his Texiest.









The played everything you wanted and more, songs you had forgotten existed. This is why I never look at previous setlists prior to a gig, you want to be surprised. We had a blast. It was a really good gig.

Highlights for me were Black Stick, and It's Alright, and Delivery Man.

We went home singing and smiling...



Here is the Setlist:

1. Shadder

2. It's Alright

3. Anybody But You

4. Delivery Man

5. Don't Sell It

6. Too Fast For Me

7. Better Get A Lawyer

8. The Drift

9. Navigate

10. Woman with Soul

11. Cocaine

12. Black Stick

13. The Honeymoon is Over

14. This is Not the Way Home

15. 4

16. Down below

17. Margarita

18. Blame it on the Moon

19. Stuff 'Nuff 'n Yes I Do



No comments: