Monday, September 21, 2009

CONCERT: FOURPLAY

LOCATION: Lizotte's Newcastle

DATE: Sunday 2 August 2009

WITH: Nole, Vince

This was my second trip to Lizotte's and yet again I was impressed. Fourplay are a string quartet with a difference. 1 violin, 2 violas and a cello - they play mostly their compositions with some amazing covers thrown in for good measure. They played classical, pop, rock, jazz, blues, country and folk - I kid you not. They have been around for a while, I think have been on Spicks and Specks.

Fourplay are most certainly not your typical string quartet, they even sung on some songs, what a talented, amazing group of young people. I would say they are in their late 30s, early 40s, gorgeous looking and talented to a genius point I think. They hypnotised me from the get go and I believe everyone in the audience. They rocked out and plain made us smile. More strings on bows were broken than you can imagine from the heavy playing. We heard Leonard Cohen, Sufjan Stevens, Cocteau Twins, Beastie Boys (yes!) and the most amazing version of Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the name of that I have ever heard. They killed it....in the best possible way, it rocked harder than RATM!!!!
What the cello player couldn't do with his cello was no-one's business, he made Jimi Hendrix look amateur...not really but you know what I mean?

I hope they come back again, as I need more.......

No comments: