Monday, December 20, 2010

BON JOVI

I saw Bon Jovi last night at Sydney Football Stadium. I am as surprised as you all undoubtably are. No, not my usual choice of music and certainly not a huge fan, but I have enjoyed their music over the years. I do love my Rock n Roll and well, let's face it, Jon Bon Jovi is very easy on the eye! So when my sisters and brother-in-law invited me along, the sisterly thing to do was to join them!

I am really glad I did, it was an excellent concert. We had great seats, thanks to Karen! The stage had three giant screens that made viewing even better - although we did have a pretty good view of the stage anyway! There were two usual sized screens either side, but a gigantic one behind the stage - amazing as you can see from this photo. This photo also shows how well you could see the actual stage, and yeah, how hot Jon still is!


They really performed a huge range of songs, and whilst I did not know all them off by heart, there were only one or two I did not know. What surprised me, was how very good they were. Now, I did expect them to be great, but this surpassed all expectations. I have seen a LOT of concerts, especially huge RnR acts like U2, The Police, Prince, Paul McCartney - and this was up there with them - that was what surprised me!


The crowd were a mixed group - not as many bogans as I thought, LOL!! Not too many mullets to be seen, although plenty of women in high heels - which amused me as the rain started to pour. Ever the rock snob - I feel if you do not dress appropriately for gigs you should not be let in! The night was amazing, and before the storm clouds rolled in, the full moon added to the amazing lighting by the band, and made for some interesting photos as you can see below. But then the rain hit, and it disappeared. I have been to many outdoor gigs that had rain, but I have to say Sydney certainly put it on last night, it was the heaviest and the longest amount of rain I have endured in a concert, but it did not matter as we were having a ball, as Jon said, like singing in the shower with 40, 000 people, hmmm I'll take singing in the shower just with you!

Sambora and Bon Jovi carried the band for sure, although the remaining members certainly did their best to keep up. Sambora's guitar roared through (see first photo below) and Bon Jovi's singing astonished me, especially a rousing rendition of Cohen's Hallelujah (in the pouring rain no less- see seond photo below). They also performed a 'jukebox' hit in the middle of audience pleaser Bad Medicine - Roadhouse Blues (The Doors) - this was awesome!!! The band really seemed to be loving every minute of our attention which is always great to see. (see final photo below) Mal and I also noticed the religious undertones to most of their songs, something that I had not considered up until then. Very subtle, but there nonetheless. We went to the chapel of Bon Jovi, got down on our knees and prayed, and it was divine!!

No comments: