Wednesday, February 22, 2012

HALL & OATES and ICEHOUSE

HALL & OATES and ICEHOUSE

When friends mentioned going to see Hall and Oates, I wasn't so sure, but I said yeah and then a few days later regreted it. I liked them when I was a teen, when I listened to their best of there were more songs than I remembered - in fact enough to make a cool concert...but would they be any good? Well, it was too late anyway, I had already forked the money over.

So, when it was time to head to Sydney Entertainment Centre on Feb 8, I was not expecting much. I then realised the support was Icehouse, got a little bit excited and thought the night could be ok.

Well, it was better than ok, it was a blast.

Icehouse - Iva in black at the front

Icehouse were the support, but more the equal, their set of hit after hit was longer than the usual support band slot- and fair enough too. Iva Davies looked and sounded better than in their heyday.

They played a lot of early songs which was an absolute thrill - they opened with Icehouse, followed by We can get together - I was sold. They ended with Love in motion, Walls, Can't help myself - even better. Final song, Great southern Land - a classic Australian song if there ever was one. The banter was light, and frothy with a touch of odd - just what you want from these Aussie veterans. Of course, there were more great songs, but these are my favs...see the setlist below.

John Oates came out and sang with Iva on Electric blue - he had helped write it and worked with Icehouse on that album.
But the star of the show was Iva, his rock swagger, guitar slung over the shoulder towards his back was the epitome of rock and roll cool, he looked damn fine ....glad I finally got to see Icehouse.

Shot from the second half - Darryl on keyboards and John on guitar

Hall and Oates started off shaky, Daryl's guitar was not coming across right , but ever the performer he soldiered on. Took a few songs to sort it, but it didn't matter. They sounded great and looked pretty good (from my seats anyway...wasn't that close!) for dudes in their mid 60s!

They opened with Maneater, which got the crowd on their feet. This is my least favourite of their songs, but was excellent to hear. Although I do remember getting a 45 of it for Christmas one year - along with Bananarama's Shy Boy, I am guessing I was all of 13 (I also got lovely pastel green jeans that year - a very good Christmas). They moved from hit to hit, not a song in the set I didn't know (see below for setlist).

By the time they got to I can't go for that they were on fire and really had found their groove. The 2 encores consisted of 4 of the best: Rich girl, You make my dreams come true, Kiss on my list and Private Eyes. There was some bitchin' online they did not banter enough or exchange much between each other, fuelling the gossip of Daryl hates John or vice versa....to be honest it never occurred to me until I read it and I suppose you could say that...but you know, that's not what I was there for...I went for the music and they delivered well above my expectations.

Icehouse - rough setlist
Icehouse
We can get together
Crazy
Hey, little girl
Cross the border
Man of colours
Miss Divine
Don't believe anymore
Electric Blue
Love in Motion
Walls
Can't help myself
Great Southern land

Hall and Oates - rough setlist
Maneater
Out of touch
Family man
Adult Education
How does it feel to be back
Say it isn't so
Las Vegas Turnaround
She's gone
Sara smile
I can't go for that
Rich Girl
You make my dreams come true
Kiss on my list
Private Eyes



2 comments:

Vince Dale said...

Thanks for the review, Cath. Unfortunately Icehouse left me pretty flat. I like the songs, but they lacked the energy that a live rendition needs. It was a matter of too slow and the rhythm section being too 'rock' for my taste. Iva was in good voice, and the songs stand up - but a bit ho-hum for me.

Poor Daryl certainly did struggle with the monitors and the microphone for the first 4-5 songs. He kept going but it stopped some of the momentum from building early.

I think Adult Education was a mistake the rhythm is too choppy, i feel. It was in the quite songs, Sh'e gone and Sarah Smile that it fell into place. and from then the funk began to flow.

Cathy said...

I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on Icehouse, I enjoyed them and having never seen them had nothing to compare to. I know you have, so I understand where your comments come from.

Hall and Oates built and built, the second half definately better than the first, and yes very funky!