Sunday, October 19, 2014

SEPTEMBER ROUND UP

September went by so fast I can barely remember it!
 
Work was insanely busy during the month, with a lot of staffing to sort through and I was involved in two projects that were very challenging and time consuming.
 
I helped M celebrate her birthday with a movie and dumplings at New Shanghai, and a visit to Max Brenner.
 
I headed to Sydney for a mini break the first weekend of the month. This was as I had tickets to see Bob Dylan at Sydney Opera House on the Sunday night. I arrived late Saturday afternoon and headed to my hotel in The Rocks, then set out for a walk and dinner. It was raining and a bit miserable but I had a good wander around the area and ended up at the Opera House Kitchen for a perfect Steak Frites and red wine. I ended up at the Dendy Cinemas on Circular Quay and escaped the weather by seeing the new Woody Allen, Magic in the moonlight.




Whilst I enjoyed the movie, it was a very light romantic comedy and lacked well, depth. I liked the storyline and the characters, but never bought Colin Firth's character being interested in Emma Stone's. Which is a shame, as I adore both, together they just didn't really work. But the costumes, set and music - as always - were sublime, and sometimes something frothy and light is ok. And as I always say a bad Woody Allen Movie is usually better than most of the crap out there!
 
The next day brought much lovelier weather, I spent the morning at The Rocks markets, wandering around the bridge, lunching at Circular Quay before walking around to Mrs Macquarie's Chair and back through the Botanical Gardens. That evening I dined on the most delicious meal at Steak and Seafood on Circular Quay before heading to The Opera House to see my hero, Bob Dylan.








I spent the Monday morning at the MCA before meeting my cousin D for lunch at the cafe there. I finally got to meet her gorgeous little girl now 3 months old before walking to the station to get the Shitkansen home, batteries all charged for this crazy month ahead!




 
L & I finally got to a French Friday, an ok comedy, Radiostars, about Radio DJs crossing the French countryside with their breakfast show. As always the eclairs from the French markets were divine!
 
The middle Saturday I travelled back in time for the Grebert/Crebert family reunion at Mayfield East Public School, Dad took part in the celebrations, on Mum's behalf, telling stories of her ancestors. I then went into Newcastle Antiques for a look before heading to the Museum for the Silent Film Festival. A good turn out for 4 Chaplin shorts, and laughs a plenty.




Later that evening J & I met M at The Lass for some drinks and Steve Smyth. I had seen Smyth on Rockwiz earlier in the year and was suitably impressed, he was better in the flesh. Rocking the most spectacular beard, Smyth sung his blues rock with every last ounce of coolness, his voice is a cross between Tom Waits and Jeff Buckley. Great evening indeed.


The next day I escaped to my sister and Brother-in-law's property. I arrived to find the kids in the newly cleared out and filled up dam, padding in kayaks etc. My sister and I sat in the sun chatting while they played in the water with their dad, a very relaxing afternoon.


 
Other gems during September were The Steampunk exhibit at Lake Macquarie Art Gallery, Hitchcock Movie night at work, celebrating V's birthday at Heng Loong Chinese, Mexican night with extended family (and fabulous Margaritas), and celebrating my beautiful niece's 7th birthday.





I spent the day with J in town, checking out Hunter and Gatherers Markets, wandering the mall, having lunch at Newy Burger Co, (oh the Pulled Pork burger is divine) and then just chilling in the park chatting.



Book club for September was the fabulous We are all completely beside ourselves, you can read about that and other things here.

I joined A & L at the movies for Wish I was here, the latest Zach Braff movie. I really enjoyed this dramedy, more melancholy than funny, but still most excellent. Zach is a little like a post modern Woody Allen. The script was great, touching, funny, clever, witty. The cinematography divine and soundtrack inspired. The acting, especially from Kate Hudson, was great. In fact, this is Kate's finest role since Almost Famous. The kids were great too. Go see this movie, it will make you cry, but it will also make you smile.
 
 
I ended the month with a lazy day in the park in Newcastle East before meeting A to see the wonderfully dark comedy, Le Petit Mort. If you have not seen this Australian gem about relationships, you simply must!





 

So another busy month and as always some photos...





No comments: