Saturday, January 27, 2018

2018: I'm in no hurry

Every year I sit down and write up my intentions for the year, usually with lists of things to achieve and so forth. So it is late January and all I have are brief notes I made on New Years Eve afternoon in Hawaii.


  • Be tougher/tighter with money so I have more money to do stuff like this (Hawaii) with. Cause you can't take it with you!
  • More musical performance - see and do
  • Be still more
  • Flaneur More
  • Swim More
  • Say goodbye to aneamia
Sounds good to me!!!
So 2018 is actually going to be a very busy year for me, at least in the first 6 -7 months for work.

I will continue to work with SEEN@Swansea, the exhibition space on top of my regular library work, which is a lot of work in itself, but I am getting better used to juggling the two now, so that won't be an issue.

On top of that council and indeed the library the undergo a restructure, and I will be part of the change group assisting with all of that. AND I am part of the team rolling out our new Library Management System (LMS: Computers). Plus attempting two small TAFE courses, on curation, and with my fellow managers, Building a Professional Culture. So I am going to be all systems go at work.

To get through this without falling over, I need to really look after myself and get my work/life balance, well balanced!

And so my Hawaiian thoughts are really going to help out. 

I love good zen, feeling zen, and being calm. In Hawaii, I found a level of zen and calm, I have never achieved in my entire life. Unless you have been to Hawaii, you won't know what I mean, but let's say, it is perfection.

I can't say I have kept it up, cause I'm not in Hawaii, but it is in my soul, and easily plucked out.

And in Hawaii, no one seems to be rushed or in a hurry, hence my theme for the year, 2018: I'm in no hurry.

This will apply to all my work commitments, I will be as swift as I can completing what I need to do, but I will not rush, no point.

And I certainly will not rush my non-work time. 

To achieve a balance, I will need more down time than I had in 2017, more couch time, more sitting under trees and daydreaming, more doing nothing.

This will help me achieve most of my little list and help me with my work/life balance and to keep that nasty black dog, and it's friend anxiety, at bay.

And by doing less, I will save more money. I had a very spendy year last year, and at times felt stressed about lack of enough money. Mostly to do more stuff, so my point of saving more, is to fit in more of the types of adventures I like to do, travel, concerts etc.

More musical performance, is to see more live music and to continue with my lovely choir and use my own musical instruments more, guitar, uke, flute. This will help my zen, as I find all of this relaxing.

Be still more is self explanatory. Flaneuring is to explore neighbourhoods with no real purpose, just wander and see what you can find and learn, I love to do this, I find it very relaxing, plus good exercise. Swim more is also relaxing. So all of these work nicely together.

Say goodbye to aneamia shouldn't be too difficult, just keep up with the steak and tabs, should be there by mid year!

And you know that is enough, sometimes, it is nice to just be and let things happen as they are meant to. Leave it up to the universe, not to plan out your entire life, but to just enjoy things as they happen.

As John Lennon said, Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. So this year I won't be planning too much, just the odd weekend away, or concert to go to, other than that, I just plan to be still.

And I think that's enough.


No comments: