Sunday, December 15, 2019

NOVEMBER ROUND UP


November was a mixed bag. Loads of fun events and social things, and more health and work stuff...sigh...

My legs continued to swell and hurt and cause me a lot of irritation, and towards the end of the month my foot totally went on me and I was in considerable pain hardly being able to walk. The heat and dust from the fires affected my sinuses, breathing, lungs, sleep. And work was just work...sigh...but I soldiered on.


We had our final bookclub for the year, chatting about the Margaret Atwood double, The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments. You can read my thoughts about these and other books and films and things here.

We celebrated Mal's birthday with a good feed at Raymond Terrace Bowling Club.

This is always a good opportunity to look at the beautiful and aptly named, Jacaranda Avenue.


Linda and I saw Judy, the Renee Zellweger biopic about Judy Garland. I loved the movie,  but it upset me so much. Sobbed through most of it. Zellweger was outstanding, I was gobsmacked, that Oscar is hers by a very large margin I would thing. I was the most extraordinary performance. It was about Garland in the last years of her life and it was incredibly sad. It was a little clunky at times, and the script needed a real polish and a bit of an edit, but that didn't really matter. It was all about her performance.

Mid month, I had a big couple of days seeing 2 concerts back to back.

The first was 3 bands at The Cambridge, with Alex and Alaistair. We scored a good spot 'upstairs' at the front/side of stage, with stools, so we could rest our weary old bones, lol! First off were The Fauves, they were good and as I remembered them, loved them back in the day. Garage rock with pop undertones and interesting lyrics.


Shonen Knife, for me, were the highlight. They bloody killed. Musically they are brilliant, and they play with such infectious joy...with all the rock star moves! I wanted so much more, hope they tour again soon.





Finally, Regurgitator, they were tight and sounded amazing. I love their mix of rock/rap fusion. The whole production was brilliant with 4 costume changes. The crowd went off, and they - especially Quan - are still gorgeous.





The following night I went to see Suzi Quatro, buying the ticket that day on a whim. I don't mind going to gigs solo, you miss out otherwise! I an not a fan of The Shed as I call it, Newcastle Entertainment Centre and it was half full, which is not a good sign. The first half of the show was pretty ordinary, nothing to whine about but nothing to be excited about either. She sounded ok, but the band were too loud and there was zero atmosphere. And look, I've gotta be honest, the audience was full of boomers who looked like they have never been to a gig before, or didn't know how to behave appropriately. So I was beginning to think I had made a mistake.

But it all turned around in the second half, oh my! It went off, and she kicked arse big time!! She came out decked in leather and looking fab at 69. ANd it was hit after hit and she sounded great. The band were a million bucks improved and the crowd went wild. It built and built. She sang Abba, did an amazing bass solo, played the drums, sang a ballad at the piano. She told stories and she sang. I danced and sand and smiled! Utter brilliance!




Heather Morris, author of The Tattooist of Auschwitz, visited work again. This time at Charlestown Library and I was lucky enough to attend. I enjoyed - maybe appreciated it a better word - the book even though it was fictionalised from real events. I figured it might spread the word to those that might not read an actual memoir or history books and that it did. When I heard her talk about 18 months ago, I felt a little uncomfortable. It seemed like she was making sunshine out of something awful. This time, with a new book that i have yet to read to promote, it really felt like it. Unsure I want to read the second book, and felt a little wrong being there. But those are just my thoughts.


I decorated Club Cathy for Christmas, with a teeny tree (my other one is just too big and overwhelms the place) and a new wreath, with a think pink theme!






And headed to the playhouse to see a great play about Salvador Dali. Called Dali: hallucinogenic torreador, written and acted by the terrific Carl Caulfield. Supporting cast also great, this was a great depiction of the man throughout his life. It was very funny, quite poignant, and of course very out there!




I met Jen at out usual haunt, the Morpeth pub, for a good meal and catch up towards the end of the month.




Then out for dinner at Barrio, finally, with friends. I have heard so much greatness and it was even better than I expected. Huge Spanish banquet of simply amazing food, and great company. We all headed up to The Stag for a dance to our 80s faves played by Yes Commissioner. Always a great night out.



I worked at the opening weekend of the new Art Gallery, now called MAC, Museum of Art and Culture. What a great experience it was.


The first thing I noticed was how very badly damaged Awaba House was, since the fire a few months back. I guess I did know that but to see it was quite upsetting.


The gallery looks amazing, the space so much expanded and useful, and much better use of the views.
And the grounds were full of things to do, from Art Bazaar, the library Rover van, food trucks, sausage sizzle, interactive art, and as always just a wonderful place to hang out and soak up the beautiful atmosphere.
For those who have never been there. The gallery is situated on the lake with amazing views and lawn surrounds filled with lovely old trees and sculpture. It's a lovely place to visit.


Inside was absolutely buzzing, with a cafe now. And a great outside marquee full of kids activities.
I was on the kids activity table but got bumped up to gallery sit!!!
If you know me at all, you'll know how very thrilled i was you take on this privilege. This meant I got to look after the art (no food , no touching etc etc) and engage with our visitors about the pieces. Explain things and answer questions.
What I loved the most was helping people who said they had no real understanding of Art know that it simply did not matter. That art is open to interpretation and passing on my own tricks at looking at art I've self learnt over my many years of immersing myself in galleries. The relief and smiles made me feel so happy. Art is for everyone and not a snooty thing. And it helps you, I know it's my go to chill place.
So I was in my absolute element, what joy!
There was also a wearable emu feather cloak I encouraged young and old to try on, and that was a lot of fun.
Us is about Universal Stories and was haunting and beautiful. A mix of sculpture, ceramics, and paintings.




We is an indigenous exhibit, featuring the centerpiece Emu cloak and huge 'moon' installation. Also carvings, paintings, sculpture, visual art.




Me is a selection of their permanent collection, most of which I've never seen. This included a Whiteley, an Olley, a Lindsay, and many Dobells.





The exhibits are contemporary and utterly fascinating. The gallery has always been a contemporary gallery and very much an indigenous gallery but the new initiative is to really include indigenous art more regularly than it did. So very important I think.


I ended the month with a hair cut and colour, the first colour in over a year, not too many greys which is great, but nice to have a fresh change.

I also met friends at The Commonwealth Hotel for a but of Christmas cheer.


As always my old faithful, the farmers markets.






And some additional pics...







No comments: