Sunday, March 10, 2024

OSCAR WATCH: The predictions 2023-24

I have been doing this for a long time, decades actually and it is still difficult.

And this year, I genuinely loved most of the films, which makes it even more difficult.

Here is a link to my reviews of these films.

So, as always, I try to predict what will actually win. There is a lot to take in to do this, but please - amateurs - the Golden Globes has NOTHING to do with it, lol!
You need to have a knowledge of how the Academy works, past winners, and who won key awards that are voted for by the same people that vote for The Oscars, eg, the SAGS. But even then it can be a crapshoot.

And I so pick my personal favourite in some categories, which is often different to what I think will win.

Best Picture

This is a difficult category, as all the films I have seen are absolutely brilliant, and I pretty much loved them all.

I loved Poor Things the most, closely followed by The Holdovers, Maestro and Barbie.

Next level is American Fiction, Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall.

Killer of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer I really enjoyed but also thought they were both masterpieces, albeit a little too long. 

I have not seen Zone of Interest.

Oppenheimer will win because it is a remarkable film. Great casting and acting, amazing cinematography, an important subject matter historically, compelling and just all round perfect.

My personal pick is Poor Things, easily my favourite film of the bunch. So I would love that to win.

Best Director

Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer will and should win this award, simply as it is a great film, a masterpiece, beautifully imagined and shot. And this goes for all his films, so he is overdue.

Best Adapted Screenplay

This one is difficult but I think American Fiction will win. It is a tight script from a beloved book

But I really want Barbie to win. Why this was in Adapted I will never know, a totally bizarre move from The Academy. I think Greta deserves something.

Best Original Screenplay

This is easy, Anatomy of a Fall is a phenomenal script and has won everything. It will and should win.

Best Actor

Cillian Murphy will win, and understandably so. Without him there is no Oppenheimer, he is Oppenheimer.

However, I would be absolutely thrilled if Paul Giamatti won, he is so good in The Holdovers, and everything he has done prior.

Best Supporting Actor

I am 99% certain Robert Downey Jnr will win for this performance, for his career turn around, for not getting the nod for Chaplin (he should have won!) And I want him to win.

However, if something odd happened and Ryan Gosling or Mark Ruffalo won, I would be thrilled for them. Consistently great actors in really amazing and out there roles.

Best Actress

This is such a strong field and it is neck and neck for Lily Gladstone and Emma Stone. Both very powerful roles but in so very different ways. I think both deserve to win but I think if Lily won it would be a very overdue and very important moment, and for that I think she will win. Her performance was mesmerising and she stole every scene from Leo and De Niro which is quite the feat.

Having said that if Emma Stone got up I would be equally as happy. I would love a tie, I want them both to win.

Best Supporting Actress

This is another certainly, Da'Vine Randolph, one of my faves (she is so funny in High Fidelity and Only Murders). She is the heart of The Holdovers and her dramatic scenes really showcase her amazing acting and she is still very funny.

Best Animated Feature

I have not seen any of these, but I think Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will win.

Best Cinematography

Cinematography and Best Film almost always go hand in hand, and Oppenheimer's cinematography was amazing, part of the genius. Especially the bomb scenes.

Best Costume Design

This is between Barbie and Poor Things, both are worthy and deserving. So it is really difficult and all my sources are divided too. I think Barbie will win, and I am happy with that.

Best Documentary Feature

Again, I have not seen any of these, but I believe everyone is putting their money on 20 days in Mariupol, so I will go with that.

Best Documentary Short

For the shorts I go to key reviewers and see which averages out, so in that case, The Last Repair Shop should win.

Best Film Editing

Oppenheimer, that is all.

Best International Feature Film

Zone of Interest is the frontrunner and from what I have heard, sounds good to me. It is the one film I really want to see but have not.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Maestro is the front winner and therefore my prediction. But Poor Things would be my preferred choice.

Best Original Score

This is easy, Oppenheimer, an elegant and perfect score for the film.

Best Original Song

Another easy one, What Was I Made For by Billie Eilish will win. Because it is a perfect song and it suits the film beautifully but is universal and a great song without the movie although it was written specifically for the film.

Look, it would be divine if I'm Just Ken won, because it is so good too. But Fineas and Billie have written an instant classic, it will win.

Best Production Design

Barbie is the frontrunner an deservedly so. The attention to detail requires multiple viewing, they nailed the Barbie aesthetic in the most incredible ways.

Best Short, Animated

All sources point towards Sean Lennon's, WAR IS OVER! Inspired by the music of John and Yoko. Cue tears from me if it does.

Best Short, Live Action

My money is on The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, a beloved Roald Dahl book and by Wes Anderson, what's not to love!

Best Sound

The majority of my sources say Oppenheimer and I will go with that.

Best Visual Effects

This appears to be between The Creator and Godzilla Minus One. I have seen neither but am putting my money on Godzilla Minus One. No idea really lol!

No comments: