Saturday, March 9, 2019

OSCAR WATCH 2019 WRAP UP

My wrap-up is a little late, mostly as I have been busy but also I'm still feeling meh about the show.

The Show
I didn't mind no host, but the show generally felt flat and for the most part left me nonplussed. I wish they would pair people that worked, some had no chemistry, others were brimming. This happens every year, will they ever learn. I loved the diversity of the winners and the spread of winners over many different movies. I was feeling ok about it all but not much made me beam. Except maybe Olivia Coleman winning. I was pretty devastated that Green Book won. Look, it is a good solid movie, but compared to that list of could have won, really???? It was about race but it was safe and old fashioned and basically Driving Miss Daisy reversed and i will never understand that winning either. Roma should have won and if not A Star is Born, The Favourite, Bohemian Rhapsody or even BlacKkKlansman or Black Panther.

Oh and I know he only passed 2 days earlier, but nothing about Stanley Donen at all, nothing??? He only directed one of the greatest movies ever...maybe next year!?

The Highlights
However, there were still hightlights.

The opening act of "Queen" were good, but not great. It lacked something. I use the name Queen loosely as without Freddie they will never be Queen. Adam Lambert is an adequate 'replacement' but his voice is a little too plastic for my tastes.

Presenters like Amy Poehler, Tina Fey and Maya Rudolph; Melissa McCarthy, Michael Keaton, Paul Rudd, Sarah Paulson helped lift things.

All the songs were great, especially Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

I loved Barbra's introduction of BlacKkKlansman.

I also loved some of the winners speeches, especially some of the smaller awards, but also Marhershala Ali, Remi Malek, and Olivia Coleman.


The Winners - how I fared

Here was my predictions.

I got 15 correct (and 9 wrong).

I got both actresses wrong and happily so. The Docos, Costume, Production, Original Score, and original screenplay. AND BEST FILM...GRRRR

The Fashion

The fashion was as always fun!

Here are some faves



















No comments: