Monday, February 10, 2020

OSCAR WATCH 2020: the show, the winners, the fashion

Well, I came so close to beating my best ever score, but Parasite went and spoiled it all. I got 20 out of 24, which I have hit three times previously.

My predictions are here if you want to check.

But that is a-ok with me, it is nice to see Foreign Films getting some acknowledgement.

More on that later.

The Show

Earlier on facebook I showcased an article about the supreme reign of Gil Cates Snr as Producer of the show. His was the era of Billy and big show stoppers, as his son said, he loved a spectacle. So do I and he also really respected the history of the Oscars and the stars that came before us. His shows had all that and more, including humour and surprise.

Today, the show came close to that, not quite but better than it had in many years.

The opening number by the brilliant Janelle Monae (and Billy Porter) was a showstopper and fabulous. She is fabulous.

The pairings of Steve Martin and Chris Rock, Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Maya Rudolph and Kristin Wigg, and James Corden and Rebel Wilson were hilarious and genius.

Most of the songs were great. Some great singers in there. Elton did look like he was possibly not playing the piano, but maybe I mistook that one. Cynthia Erivo's voice oh my, that gal can sing. Ditto for Chrissie Metz, it was a shakey, nervy start but she did well. Randy did well too, given he has just had a hip replacement. I love Randy so very much and still cannot even believe he never won one for You've Got a Friend in Me, seems ridiculous. I had to look up who won that year, some song from Pocohontas, anyone remember that, nah, me neither! Poor Randy.

I do not dislike Billie Eilish, but you need to be a really great singer to tackle The Beatles. I have seen so many good singers fall on their face attempting. Because we know their stuff so well, we (well, not me) think of it as easy. Their songs are complex and clever. You need to be great to do them justice, she was not great. It was a shocking version of Yesterday. But as someone said, it will bring The Beatles to a generation that may not (WTF?) have heard of them. So, fine by me. But go listen to the original.

Speaking of In Memorium, where was Luke Perry???

The surprise and highlight of the night was Eminem. Surprise because no one seemed to know this would happen and extra surprise to me it was my highlight. He killed and it was great, odd but great. This is what I watch the Oscars for, to be surprised.


I really loved the girl action love with new guard Gal Gadot and Brie Larson flanking a fabulous Sigourney Weaver to present a flag of awards. Go gals!

The Winners

The 4 actors who were predicted all won, giving great speeches, but Joaquin Phoenix was the stand out. He has been on track all season, using the platform for humble goodness, but my upset was him never mentioning his brother, I really thought he would. And tonight he did, I was sobbing before he mentioned River, he barely got it out, it was a thing of beauty.

The lovely lady who won Original Score for The Joker gave a great speech too, also wore a fabulous dress.

All the shorts and docos (got everyone correct!) gave inspiring speeches too.


I was happy to see Once Upon A Time IN Hollywood win over 1917 for Production Design, I had it in for winner all week and swapped it out after seeing 1917 at the last moment yesterday, bugger.

Sound Editing went to Ford V Ferrari not 1917, I had been torn against the two and went with 1917.

And I really did think 1917 would get Best Picture and Direction. I ignored the Guild Awards going to Parasite which are almost always an indication. POssible seeing 1917 on the day I solidified my nominations swayed me. But never mind, I was pleased Parasite won.


I really enjoyed Parasite, but I still rated Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and Jojo Rabbit ahead of it. I think they were more deserved winners. I don't think 1917 was robbed, it was great and well shot, but war films, been there, done that.

What makes me most confused, is there have been so many amazing Foreign Films over the years that are far far far better films than Parasite, that only won Best Foreign Film (as they used to be called), some didn't even get that. None have ever won Best Picture. Think about the entire back catalogue of Fellini, Pedro Almodovar, Kurosawa, Bergman, Jeunet, Leconte, Kieslowski. And films like Cinema Paradiso, Amelie, Pan's Labyrinth, Downfall, I've Loved You So Long, Delicatessan, Incendies, Broken Circle Breakdown, Three Colours, The Lives of Others, Intouchables, All About My Mother, La Strada, Raise the Red Lantern, and on and on. I don't know that Parasite is a better film than them.


This is where The Oscars gets murky. 

But it was an important film, and maybe this was it's time to shine and I love an upset so I am pleased.


The Fashion

This year it was safe or bizarre, and not good bizarre.

Very few stood out as best dressed to me.

But here we go.




Penelope Cruz wins for her stunning Chanel gown.




Janelle Monae, my runner up




Olivia Coleman and Natalie Portman standouts for stunning and different. I love Coleman's style it is always authentically her and different yet stylish, and Portman for her lovely gown and cape/coat which had women directors' names embellished on the coat!










I loved all these, slinky and plenty of coats and capes!




These came close, but not quite



And these fall into the what were they thinking!?!?




And fabulous men, who went a little bit extra!

And so ends another year, 2020 you restored my faith a little, I'll be back next year.
Please let me know what I missed that you loved or didn't love, what you agree or disagree with.
I love to hear what others think!!


No comments: