Sunday, April 12, 2020

ADELAIDE: a beautiful city

I recently spent two weeks in Adelaide and absolutely loved it.

I had been looking for somewhere to holiday that had things of interest but not too much, somewhere I could get to easily and just chill after having a crazy couple of years. I tossed around all sorts of locations, but Adelaide kept coming up. I love Melbourne and a few people suggested Adelaide as a quieter version.

Then I realised Womad aligned up with when I could take leave. Adelaide was locked in and I bought my Womad tickets without a single act being announced.


Womad is the World of Music, Art, and Dance Festival and it tours over the world, Adelaide being the only location in Australia. I love World Music, huh, I just love Music and most genres. I especially love African Music and Cuban/Latin Music.

I've written a separate piece about my experiences at Womad here.


I booked my accommodation not really knowing much about the city but it seemed well placed and when I arrived I couldn't have been happier.

I love to travel but I am not the best traveller, and I had to fly in from Sydney, which meant catching trains to get to Sydney airport. So a lot of connections, and despite my anxiety it all worked smoothly. I love being in an airport, I always leave time to wander and people watch and look at the shops. I am not usually a fan of shopping, but anything goes in an airport!

Adelaide airport was small and everyone was friendly. The trip via the shuttle bus into the city was short and lovely. So many beautiful homes in the outlying suburbs, so many perfectly manicured gardens.



I was staying in a Studio apartment at BreakFree in Adelaide. It was situated on the West Terrace at the other end of the street that turns into Rundle Mall. About a 10 minute walk to the Mall along from where I stayed.


The complex was large but only 3 stories high, loads of lovely courtyards with seating and gardens throughout. The staff, like everyone I had encountered in Adelaide, were lovely and friendly. My apartment had everything I needed, a laundry in the bathroom. A small kitchen, comfy bed, lounge area, and a balcony. It was clean and comfy and had a good vibe.






The West End has part of the University campus, and loads of night clubs. With this a lot of cafes and takeaways. Within my block I could eat Indian, Vietnamese (2), Greek (2), Italian and Pizza, Thai, and a few cafes. So I was spoilt for choice.






Free public transport was nearby. Adelaide has trams and they are free in the city centre. Not as thorough a system as Melbourne, but placed to get you near to most places. I had a stop about a 5 minute walk from where I stayed and the Free bus (which runs to more places within the city than the tram) about a minute away around the corner from where I stayed. This took me to Womad everyday. You can read all about WOMAD here.

When I arrived I caught the end of the Writers' Week and some Adelaide Festival events. I left my apartment and took a long walk to get there each day taking in some of the city. 


The city is mostly flat and easy to get around on foot. So many beautiful old buildings. Down near the Mall, there is the other section of the University, it is the original area with lovely old buildings, the State Library, Museum, and Art Gallery are near there also. 















Closer to where I am staying are more modern buildings, including the SAHMRI, The South Australia Health and Medical Research Institute which became my new favourite modern building. Looking like a spaceship that has just landed, it shone like a beacon from every angle.





After WOMAD, I could get out and explore the city, and there is much to see. Having taken the free bus ride to Womad, I also saw areas I wanted to explore along that route.

I had been keen to try out the cool cafe opposite to my accommodation, so after a long sleep in, I had brunch there. Peter Rabbit is a very modern, hipster joint with a varied breakfast menu. The food was good and the place was packed. After eating I went for a walk, collected some supplies and head back to further rest and chill. The 4 days at Womad had been huge and this was a holiday after all.




The following day I headed to the markets. They are all under cover in a large old building about a 30 minute walk from where I was staying. I had planned on walking there and catching a cab or bus back with my purchases. But it was a super hot day so I caught the free bus there and back.

After a lovely brunch at one of the cafes attached to the edge of the establishment, I wandered around looking at all on offer. I picked up supplies for the remainder of my trip to make some meals, and some goodies. I got back to my apartment and dropped off the goods and then headed back out to escape into the cool of the strip where there the State Library, Museum, and Art Gallery are situated. I took my first tram ride there. The tram was about a 5 minute walk from from my place and it took me to the front door of the State Library.






That afternoon I explored the State Library and the Museum. The following day, after a lovely sleep in, I headed back to that area to visit the Art Gallery. Follow the links to read about my experiences and see my pictures.

Following my Art Gallery visit I wandered back through the mall, mostly looking at the interesting architecture and looking up. You should always look up in a big city...well, anywhere.










I also organised a trip to the McLaren Vale vineyards. Mostly as I wanted to visit the d'Arenberg Cube. It was a difficult place to get to, so I booked an all day, hop on, hop off bus trip. This meant I got to visit other parts of the area. Being by myself and not really able to take wine home with me, it was more about the experience and the countryside. After being collected near the lovely old Railway station off we went. I commenced at The Cube and the spectacular Dali exhibition and spent a couple of hours there.


After that, I chose a small vineyard with an interesting sounding cafe and small gallery. It was a lovely location and I had a late lunch on the verandah. The day of the trip was quite overcast with occasional drizzles of rain, so it was nice to chill in that kind of weather, albeit briefly. From there I went to the town of McLaren Vale and, with some other girls I met, had a little look at some the shops there. We visited Bracegirdle, a lovely chocolate shop and cafe in a beautiful old homestead and had afternoon tea. And The Almond Train, which was all things almond... in an old train carriage. Finishing up at the large gallery situated at the Hardy Vineyard showroom, it had been a wonderful day.














By the next day, it was obvious I needed to keep away from crowds, with Covid-19 becoming a serious threat. I had planned to head out of the city to an old theatre to see a band, The Ukulele Death Squad, as part of the Fringe Festival. I decided not to go. I was sad, but just couldn't risk being at a concert. I slept in and then headed back to the market to grab some additional supplies, and decided I wouldn't go too far in my remaining days.






I mostly went for walks and grabbed takeway. Luckily my apartment was lovely, had a nice little balcony and areas to read in the sun. And it was nice to do little and I had seen pretty much everything I had wanted to.



I did take the free bus to North Adelaide, I had passed through there each day on the way to Womad, and it looked so lovely. An older area of the city, beautiful old buildings, and parks, and a shopping strip. I had a wander of the shops, and found a new Italian restaurant that had just opened. It was not expensive, but a bit pricey for lunch. However, I thought, why not, and I felt bad they were opening a new place under these circumstances. I was the only one there and got superb service, having a wonderful mushroom and chicken risotto. After such an indulgent lunch, I went for a long walk, looking at and taking pics of the houses. Most went back to around 1880 and had been restored and looked so amazing. I think if I could live anywhere, it would be there.





























On my final day, I wandered up to the mall to grab a few things. I had lunch at a pancake joint, the pancakes were sooo good.  I took some last pics of the city and headed back to pack.














I was meant to be flying into Melbourne for a week to stay with my sister and catch up with friends and just soak up the Melbourne atmosphere I love so much. But a few days prior I changed my flights to come home. To fly home from Adelaide meant flying into Sydney - which looked like a nightmare - and then catch public transport home which I wasn't keen for. So I flew to Melbourne as expected, had a little wander around St Kilda, made it to my sisters, had a lovely catch up and evening and flew home to Newcastle the next day.











I was really sad to cut this trip short. It had taken me a long time to feel better and to be able to afford a decent trip - nothing fancy or out there mind you - so to cut it short seemed terribly unfair. But I was so lucky to have gotten the main part of the holiday complete, especially Womad. Things could have been infinitely worse. It wasn't until I finally got home that the enormity and stress of those last few days hit, and I got quite upset. But I bounced back, Melbourne will always be there, and I was safe and well and really that was all that mattered.


And Adelaide - it was the perfect location for me to go at that time. I really fell in love with the place. It was beautiful to look at, for a garden and architecture lover like me, it was a dream. It was easy going, laid back, everyone I met was friendly, kind and helpful. Where I stayed was perfect, the food amazing. The things to do fabulous. I will be back, absolutely!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful view into the beauty that is Adelaide. It truly is an architectural and heritage state with so many wonderful cultural activities as well. I hope your blog makes more people want to take advantage of its wonders.

Cathy said...

Thank you, and I couldn't agree more!