Tuesday, March 29, 2022

OSCARWATCH 2022: THE AFTERMATH AND THE FASHION

It's taken a while to process The Oscars from yesterday.

So let's start with how I went, I got 19 categories correct and 4 wrong.

Dune got Cinematography and Production Design, I had The Power of the Dog and Nightmare Alley respectively.

I got the animated Short wrong and Best Picture.

The Best Picture hurts a lot, but I underestimated sentimentality and a few other things. Coda was a solid good film, the kind of film that usually you would say is lucky to be nominated. I just felt there were many of the top ten far superior to it. Also it is a remake from a much better French film, and not just a remake a pretty much scene for scene remake, so every time I saw the writer go on about how difficult a journey it was to get the screenplay out there, I kinda shook my head. Having said all of that, I am all for inclusivity and anything that will make others feel better and seen, so I guess it is ok.

I can take or leave Beyonce, but that was a pretty cool opening I have to say!

I thought Amy (who I love), Wanda (who I worship), and Regina (who I didn't know) did a fine job of handling the hosting. There were some so so moments but also some truly funny stuff. Amy, did exceptionally well when it was her solo turn to come out after the incident. 

Wanda's schtick at the Academy Museum (I so want to go there) was wonderful and had me really laughing!

I liked the presenting of Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin, they were fun!

I loved the anniversary pairings, even though they didn't make a lot of sense. White Men Can't Jump made me laugh, I have loved Rosie Perez for so long, she is amazing and hilarious. Juno was lovely but awkward, and Pulp Fiction was fun, but also odd.

The in-memorium was a bit strange. I did love the upbeat music/song, a celebration rather than being dreary. But this year they also got a few key people to talk about a few key people who had passed. This was also a great idea, but the 2 new ideas clashed sadly. Tyler Perry spoke about Sidney Poitier, Bill Murray spoke about Ivan Reitman, and Jamie Lee Curtis about Betty White, along with a cute doggie.

I loved the change of the band each hour, especially seeing the fabulous Miss Sheila E on drums.

There was also some great speeches, Ariana Du Bose, Troy Kotsur, Questlove, Jane Campion and an exceptional speech by Jessica Chastain, really classy and heart felt, she got it just right!

The evening ended with Lady Gaga and Liza Minelli to present Best Picture. What a pair, iconic. Liza was a little all over the shop, which isn't that unusual, but because she was in a wheelchair for encephalitis. It was a little sad, but ultimately lovely to see, and Gaga was so gentle and lovely with her, she said to her I got you, and Liza said I know.

So it would be nice to end things there and then head to the fashion, but it would be remiss of me not to mention The Slap.

As Rhys Muldoon tweeted early on Christos Tsiolkas is about to become a very rich man.

Here is my quick take, cause goodness knows I am well over the ugly incident.

Chris Rock told an inappropriate joke about Will Smith's wife, he probably shouldn't have.

Will Smith laughed, his wife gave him the death stare.

Will Smith obviously freaked out by that, jumps up and slaps Rock.

Then sits down.

Rock tries to make sense of the stupidity of it.

Will Smith verbally abuses him not once, but twice.

At a normal event, he would have been removed for violent behaviour.

Yes, Rock should have been more thoughtful, but he IS a comedian.

But what Smith did was inexcusable, violent, and disturbing.

My heart was still beating super fast minutes later.

Not only was it awful and upsetting to watch, but it took glory away from those who actually deserve glory in the aftermath.

And then he wins, and people actually applaud etc. WTAF!

Firstly, there were far superior actors that should have won in the category.

Secondly, in my opinion, he is hardly a great actor. I think the best film he did was Six Degrees of Separation. I don't mind Men in Black and he was ok in Ali and the Pursuit of Happyness. And that is about it, I just don't get him.

So yeah, I am sour about it all. But you know, that's me.

However, when a man frames violence because of love, I call bullshit and that really triggers me. He needs help and I hope he gets it. 

OK, let's move on to the fashion!!!!

















AND MY TOP THREE IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER ARE:





No comments: