Sunday, March 12, 2023

OSCAR WATCH 2023

OK, here we go, I haven't had a lot of time to ponder this year nor see a lot of the films, and I haven't had a lot of time to do my research on the lesser categories.

As always, who will win and who I would like to win.

I don't do the later if I have not seen enough films.

And not long to see how poorly I fared!

Best Picture

I haven't seen Triangle of Sadness, Tar, or Avatar but I do not think they would get up. I have seen the rest bar All Quiet on the Western Front and it could be a contender. As could The Banshees of Inisherin, Elvis or The Fablemans. I don't think Women Talking is a contender, nor is Top Gun. The only film I would be happy to see beat EEAAO is Elvis. I am sticking with EEAAO because it IS everything!

Who Will Win: Everything, Everywhere All at Once

Who Should Win: Everything, Everywhere All at Once

Director

Only seen 3 of the 5 nominated, but I think it will be The Daniels. EEAAO is a remarkable film, with remarkable direction, I think they will get up and I want them to,

Who Will Win: The Daniels

Who Should Win: The Daniels

Actor in a Leading Role

I have seen all performances except Bill Nighy's, and they are all fine. This is difficult, it will be between Brendan Fraser for The Whale or Austin Butler for Elvis. Fraser's performance is a transformation and heartbreaking and he has had a revival of sorts, but how many people saw that little film? Butler also transformed, but in such a way there were moments you could not tell the difference between him and the real deal.  It really could go either way, I have no idea who will win. Can't they both?

Who Will Win: Austin Butler for Elvis

Who Should Win: Austin AND Brendan

Actress in a Leading Role

This is another tough one, Cate Blanchett is winning a lot but so is Michelle Yeoh. I think that Michelle is more than deserving and Cate already has 2 Oscars and you know she will have more opportunities. Again, can't they both win.
The others don't come close

Who Will Win: Michelle Yeoh For EEAAO

Who Should Win: Michelle AND Cate

Actor in a Supporting Role

This is a slam dunk, Ke Huy Quan will win for EEAAO, there are some great performances in this category, but I think our beautiful friend will win.
He is the glue that holds that film together and gets 2 amazing moments PLUS he has a great story, is adorable and everyone loves him! Short Round for the Golden Boy

Who Will Win: Ke Huy Quan for EEAAO

Who Should Win: Ke Huy Quan for EEAAO 

Actress in a Supporting Role

This is not as easy as it looks, everyone is a contender and a heavy weight. The money is on Jamie Lee Curtis and I think she will win, but Kerry Condon could pull an upset. She was strong in that film. Hong Chau was perfect in The Whale and Stephanie Hsu probably should win, she was phenomenal.

Who Will Win: Jamie Lee Curtis for EEAAO

Who Should Win: Stephanie Hsu for EEAAO

Original Screenplay

There are some great screenplays in this category but EEAAO is so very original, how can it not win!?

Who Will Win: EEAAO

Who Should Win: EEAAO

Adapted Screenplay

This is a little more complex, I think All Quiet on the Western Front will win but Women Talking could also pull it off, a nod for all the amazing Sarah Polley does.

Who Will Win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Who Should Win: Women Talking

International Feature

Slam dunk, All Quiet on the Western Front

Who Will Win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Animated Featured

Again, another slam dunk, Pinocchio

Who Will Win: Pinocchio

Documentary Feature

From my research, Navalny looks the likely contender

Who Will Win: Navalny

Original Score

All Quiet has been talked up in all my research but never under-estimate a sentimental vote for an aging John Williams for The Fabelmans

Who Will Win: The Fabelmans

Original Song

Don't know alot about these, but everyone is predicting Naatu, Naatu from RRR

Who Will Win: Naatu Naatu from RRR

Cinematography

This looks likely to go to All Quiet. I haven't seen enough to say

Who Will Win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Costume Design

From what I have seen, everyone is a contender here, but I think Elvis will get this, giving Catherine Martin another Oscar to add to her 4, so maybe that will mean a big no. 

Who Will Win: Elvis

Who Should Win: Elvis

Editing

If you have seen EEAAO, this has to go to them

Who Will Win: EEAAO

Who Should Win:  EEAAO

Makeup and Hairstyling

This seems to be between Elvis and The Whale. I think Elvis will get it, it is the showier of the two.

Who Will Win: Elvis

Who Should Win: Elvis

Production Design

Babylon is getting a lot of buzz for this, but Elvis is also remarkable. I am unsure.

Who Will Win: Babylon

Who Should Win: Elvis

Sound

Oh vey, another difficult one, between Top Gun and All Quiet

Who Will Win: All Quiet on the Western Front

Visual Effects

Another slam dunk and this time for Avatar

Who Will Win: Avatar

Animated Short

My research says The Boy, The Mole and having read that book I think yes.

Who Will Win: The Boy, The Mole, The Fox, and The Hare

Live-Action Short

This is between Le Pupille and An Irish Goodbye. I have no idea.

Who Will Win:  An Irish Goodbye

Documentary Short

Stranger at the Gate and The Elephant Whisperer. 

Who Will Win: The Elephant Whisperer





No comments: