Monday, June 19, 2023

THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE

The World is a Vampire Tour had a great line up.

Amyl and the Sniffers, Jane's Addiction, and Smashing Pumpkins.

I have always wanted to see Amyl, LOVE Jane's Addiction and Andrew loves Smashing Pumpkins.

It was at Newcastle Entertainment Centre AKA The Shed, one of the worst venues you will ever find. But sometimes you just have to let go and attend.

And so we did.

There was another support band and a LOT of Wrestling, Billy Corgan has his own wrestling troupe. It started mid afternoon, but no one needs to sit at that venue for longer than they need to.

So we cruised in and arrived as Amyl started, perfect timing.

They are an Australian female led punk band, and I bloody loved them. They sounded great, she was amazing and had everyone entranced. I heard later it was not as good as they usually are - in smaller venues, so I really look forward to that opportunity in the future.





After that we suffered a little wrestling, it was a bit of fun.

Poor Andrew was not feeling the love for the venue, so he had to go for a little wander. I had warned him it was shit, we had pretty good seats to the right of the stage, angled in. But when I say good seats, I mean we could see the stage fairly well. These are unaccommodating plastic bucket seats on bleachers that wobble. And the seats are close, and the place was packed. Awful doesn't even begin to explain how it feels.

By the time Perry slid on stage with Jane's Addiction we were too caught up in the music to be too bothered by the seating. 



Jane's Addiction kicked arse! I hoped they would. I know Perry can be 'difficult' but he sounded great, looked happy and chatted occasionally in a lovely playful way. They played everything you wanted to hear and more, and just rocked the joint, what more can I say, but this fan was very happy.




Now I could have gone home there, but Smashing Pumpkins were still to come on. I knew a spattering of songs and whilst not the biggest fan thought I should enjoy the set. I was not prepared for how many songs I knew and how much I loved it. Billy Corgan, also known for being 'difficult' was also great. He sounded amazing, as did the band. Really uplifting too. They rocked and they played some great pop. They also delighted the audience with covers of Once in a Lifetime (total punk version, fantastic!) and a really pretty version of Under the Milky Way but in the style of SP.







We unfurled ourselves from the awful chairs, and wandered back to the car happy and full of joy and great music.

Live gigs are the best aren't they!!!???




No comments: