Monday, June 5, 2023

TIM ROGERS AND THE TWIN SET

Tim Rogers is one of my favourite Australians. His music and lyrics are simply spectacular, but in the most underrated way. I listen to his songs, especially his solo stuff, and I just go weak at the knees. He is a born storyteller. 

I do love his band, You Am I, but I have a real special place for his solo work. And most especially, What Rhymes with Cars and Girls, his debut solo album. Released in 1999, I was right in the middle of an awful break-up, and this was my soundtrack. I don't mind saying, I think this album saved my life. It was an album full of truth and heartbreak itself, and it went straight to the core of my being. I love this album so very much and it is easily in my Top 5 all-time favourite albums.

It is a little bit pop, a little bit rock, and quite heavily country influenced. It is melancholy and sad and also very uplifting. The vibe is Timmy has opened up his heart and soul and just laid it all bare for you. So much so, he only toured the album briefly and rarely plays these songs in solo gigs. He says the time was not a good one for him and to play the songs was too upsetting. 

I was lucky enough to hear him play a couple of the more uplifting songs when he did an intimate gig at The Edwards some years back. The joy they brought, I cannot begin to say.

So, during lockdown he decided to revisit that album and rewrite those songs, 20 something years later. The album, Tines of Stars Unfurled, takes the subject matter of the original songs and updates them, what are those characters or places up to now. It has the same vibe.

And he regrouped The Twin Set, his backing band to make it and them tour both albums. 

This is the gig we saw a Lizotte's, and it was magnificent.





It is easily the best I have seen him perform too, the band were magnificent and he obviously loves working with them and whilst playing tight they appeared relaxed and at ease with each other, which really makes a difference, a lot of laughs were to be had.

Tim told stories about the band and the songs in between songs and was a sheer delight. Jen Anderson, from Weddings, Parties, Anything, was the yin to his yang. They had a close musicality that shone through, she added the cherry on top to an already remarkable set. 





They opened to the Fawlty Towers tune and Tim praised Brian and his team at Lizotte's. The new songs, which were not as familiar as the old ones, felt familiar. He explained the updated versions. The old tunes were divine and the band looked happy returning to them after all these years.




It was the kind of night you didn't want to end. There were a couple of well chosen covers towards the end, unexpected but fun.

We walked out on air.

The setlist was as follows:

Bushell and a Peck

Been So Good, Been So Far

A Quiet Anniversary

22

Arse Kickin' Lady From the North West

Left My Heart in a Country Church Hall

Happy Anniversary

I Live Near a Train Station

Up-A-Ways

Get High, Support the Band

Hi, We're the Support Band

You Just Don't Do it for Me Friend

The Drink They Drained as I Drove Away

You've Been So Good To Me So Far

The Songs They Played as I Drove Away

Eight Days a Week - Beatles cover

Don't Cry No Tears - Neil Young Cover



No comments: