Monday, December 11, 2023

PAUL MCCARTNEY: A remarkable evening

When I heard that Paul McCartney was coming back to Australia AND visiting my home-town of Newcastle I was equal parts excited, and equal parts unsure.

I had seen him twice before. Way back in 1993, which was a great concert but the second time in 2017 was phenomenal.

He was now 6 years older, was it worth going again, when last time was perfection and the best concert I had ever attended?

I had to think fast, and of course, my lovely Andrew had never seen McCartney and he is as big a Beatles fan as me, so the answer was yes. But Newcastle was not going to happen logistically. My sisters also wanted to go and so within a week we had seats for the four of us at the Sydney concert. 

It wasn't long before the day was upon us, my sister Karen drove us there and Andrew met us prior. We had a good trip down, excited and happy.  And after an early dinner we made our way to the entrance of the Sydney Cricket Ground, where we would enter through to get to the new stadium next door as we were seated on the ground. There was a bit of a wait and some superb people watching and we finally made our way inside. We had very good seats close to the stage, towards the back of that section. It had been sprinkling, but there was a lovely lady in attendance with a towel who had been looking after her/our section beautifully. 


We took our seats and a wave of emotion came over me. To be here again, for the single most important person (in my opinion) musically in the entire world and such a favourite was all too much, also to share it with my sisters and my love was an added bonus. We were all excited.

We were worried about the weather, rain on and off all day and dark clouds looming. We were lucky, one downpour about 30 minutes before he came on, enough for us to need to put on our rain ponchos, and a few moments of light drizzle through the concert. It was also a full moon, so lovely to be able to look up into the night sky and see the heavens above. It added to the atmosphere of the evening.



A great film of McCartney and Beatles stills and moving images back to music played prior, including the 'new' Beatles song, Now and Then. Anticipation was high, smiles were wide.

And then he arrived on stage to much fanfare, and got straight into Can't Buy Me Love. He sounded amazing and I knew it was going to be a great night. The crowd went wild, everyone was on their feet. We couldn't really see the stage which had me a little bummed, but as the night went on, and people settled, we could, and it was great with excellent views.



The vibe was intense and glorious and everything. We sang to every song. Singing and dancing with my sisters (as we did as kids) and my love, who usually doesn't dance, was such joy, I have no real words to describe it. This kind of joy needs to be bottled. 

He played 39 songs over 3 hours straight - see setlist below - and sounded amazing! His voice has changed over the years, but still holds up great for his age, which is 81 by the way! 

81!!!!!!

He talked and joked with the crowd and the band, and it just seemed impossible that this man, this hero, the originator of music as we know it, was there, almost in reach. I thought I would be emotional throughout, and I was, but not many tears, which is quite unlike me. I was so very in the moment and so very much enjoying myself, crying just didn't happen...until much later. The next day and those after just thinking about the evening brought me to my knees, and I am writing this with wet eyes. 






I am utterly aware of the privilege of seeing what is easily the greatest concert of my life.

His band, who he has been playing with for decades, were brilliant as always. Great riffs, harmonies and they look liked they were loving every minute of it. Imagine being in Paul McCartney's band...


My highlights were as follows:

Go to Get you into my life - I love this song, and love the brass section. This concert he had a brass section, so a lot of brassy songs were included and this was no exception. They were actually placed up the top of the stadium amongst the punters. Imagine being near to that. The song sounded sharp and great!

Let Me Roll it - one of my favourite Wings songs. It went off, so did I. Such a  great song with that fabulous guitar riff, oh my!


Ditto for Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five - bloody love that song, so underrated, real gem!

Maybe I'm Amazed - one of his finest love songs, sounded beautiful.



Blackbird - just about one of the simplest yet best songs ever written. Absolutely stunning performance. Had me in raptures.

She Came in through the Bathroom Window - always fun, an unexpected song to hear, but that's the point of a big concert!

Something - a stunning tribute to George Harrison, starting with just him on a Uke, one given to him by Georgie. The band slowly comes in and the song builds and lifts. A highly emotional moment, showcasing his and George's genius and beauty.


Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da - had EVERYONE on their feet, dancing and laughing. I love this song so very much, it always brings me joy and you could feel the joy in everyone during this one. Utter brilliance.

From there the concert just kept lifting and lifting, it was completely extraordinary.

Band on the Run - perfection!


Get Back and Let it Be - wonderful

Live and Let die -  BOOM!!!! pyrotechnics and sound, ultimate brilliance.







Hey Jude - my all-time favourite Beatles song, McCartney song, song. Singing along with 1000s of people, my sisters, and my love. Tears indeed.

He disappeared for a few minutes and then back for the encore.

I've got a feeling - a great underrated gem, made popular by the Get Back doco, now with Lennon spliced in, so Paul is doing a duet with his friend, a real goosebumps moment!

Helter Skelter - it bloody rocked! A surprise and well loved song by all, we all went off!!!!!

The finale was the Abbey Road trilogy which I adore. Golden Slumbers, The End, Carry That Weight. Oh boy, so very good.

And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make. One of the best and most meaningful lines of lyrics ever written.

It was over, but we were happy and been given the best lifeline you could ever get. If everyone got to see a concert like this just once in their life, there would be no war, no sorrow. The joy should be bottled.

To be alive at this moment in time, to be able to see such a magnificent performance from someone I love so very deeply. It's something...


Setlist

1. Can't Buy Me Love

2. Junior's Farm

3. Letting Go

4. She's a Woman

5. Got To Get You Into My Life

6. Come On To me

7. Let Me Roll It

8. Getting Better

9. Let 'Em In

10. My Valentine

11. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

12. Maybe I'm Amazed

13. I've Just Seen A Face

14. In Spite of All The Danger

15. Love Me Do

16. Dance Tonight

17. Blackbird

18. Here today

19. New

20. Lady Madonna

21. Fuh You

22. You Never Give Me Your Money

23. She Came In Through the Bathroom Window

24. Jet

25. Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite

26. Something

27. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

28. Band on The Run

29. Get Back

30. Let It Be   

31. Live and Let Die

32. Hey Jude

encore::::

33. I've Got A Feeling

34. Birthday

35. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)          

36. Helter Skelter

37. Golden Slumbers

38. Carry That Weight

39. The End                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

                                                                                  

                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments: