Sunday, December 11, 2011

PICASSO

Picasso: masterpieces from The Musee National Picasso Paris, Art Gallery NSW
Thursday 24 November 2011

I cannot say I am a huge fan of Picasso's Art, however I adore the Weeping Woman in the NGV in Melbourne, and appreciate his body of work. I love the main period he worked in, and the movement in Paris in the 20s, and the other artists he surrounded himself with. One of my favourite perfumes is by his daughter Paloma, and there is something about his mystique (despite his misogynous ways!). And how could anyone how loves Art not go and see this exhibition, even if you do not normally see Art, I suggest you make the trip to the outstanding Art Gallery of NSW and see this!

The exhibition was set out into 10 rooms, each featuring a different period or style of work, and this is what impressed me the most. I knew he was prolific and knew he painted in many different styles, but until I saw them room after room after room, I had not realised how impressive his output really was. By the time I got halfway through, I was overwhelmed and had to sit down. I admit this is not the first time I have been moved by the enormity of art, it is hard to explain, but I do get a little overwrought...

I loved the simplicity of examples from his blue and rose periods, simple drawings, dusty tones and lots of pale hues of blue and pink (of course), then there were paintings that were obviously inspired by Gauguin and African Art, and included some wood carvings...very unexpected. Cubism and a lot of collages followed, but he was still in the early stages. I could see some impressionism within some of these paintings, possibly more post impressionism, that surprised me. Apparently he was influenced by Cezanne, and it was obvious when you look at examples from this section of his life. The next period (early 20s) produced classic style painting, and again I was surprised to see art that reflected Renoir. There were a lot of portraits during this period and also Oceanic style sculptures.

The main section was his surrealist paintings, still bearing Cubism within their form, but with bright colours, these paintings (and some sculptures in bronze) were where I became overwhelmed. I particularly loved his bronze sculptures and had no idea he had done such work, they were clean and beautiful and sexual and soft. The price of entry was worth it for this room alone! The next few rooms had paintings and some sculptures that seemed to combine all of his previous styles in one, with themes of love and war, the period covered the mid 30s until 1951. After that the final rooms were from later in life, reflective and mostly duller (in colour) versions of Cubism. My favourite pieces in this section were a set of Sculptures of "bathers" from The Mediterranean, made from found objects - I was very drawn to them.

I encourage everyone to go and see this amazing exhibit and am grateful for The Art Gallery of NSW for being able to let us look at such wonderful pieces of Art by an amazing Artist.


No comments: