Saturday, December 31, 2011

SPICKS AND SPECK-TACULAR

Spicks and Speck-tacular, Newcastle Entertainment Centre - Friday 25 November

This was my second Spicks and Speck-tacular and was far better than the first. I do love the show, but will admit I will always pick RockWiz over it, maybe because I do so much better on the questions there! I adore Adam, Allan and Myf - they make the show and feel like they are part of your family. The first time the show lacked the comedy and skills of the guests, and they pulled people out of the audience instead and it simply did not work. This time they did the same thing, but upped the ante by making the questions to retrieve audience members hard (I only got the Billie Holiday one!), this made for better audience participation, as they got genuine music lovers, not idiots!

They started with a mash up of Single Ladies (Myf), You're the Voice (Adam) and Top Hat (Allan), and it worked in a weird comedic way. I was more than impressed by Allan's tap dancing moves! Adam did a bit of a stand up bit, pulling some poor sod out the audience and got them to do a James Brown routine...the dude had no idea who James Brown was - what the hell was he doing there? They then moved into getting audience members for guests on stage, this worked well and was funny and clever. They used many of the segments from the show and a few extras. The backing band was tight and showed their excellence when they played songs in an unrecognisable style. I still cannot believe how long it took for The Ship Song to be realised, I got that one immediately (but that would have been my RockWiz training!).

We had a great time and felt sad when it all finished, an end of an era, but as they say it will live on due to repeats on ABC2. Many thanks to Mary and Peter for taking me as a belated birthday present, I had a ball!

4 comments:

The Fresh Ingredient said...

Was a great show, with great friends. Many laughs. Thanks for coming along & sharing!

Cathy said...

No - thank you! Twas a good night!

Anonymous said...

Managed to be one of the lucky ones onstage that night as well.Sorry it took ages to guess The Ship Song.
I'm not the biggest Nick Cave fan.
Anyway-had a feeling I was gonna bomb out after the Look What They've Done round but in the end-to have been onstage with Adam,Alan and Myf will be cherished as much as my recent Rockwiz experience.
Cheers!
John

Cathy said...

Ok John, now you're just bragging ;) What a year you have had - excellent work!!!!