Tuesday, March 13, 2012

WOMEN OF LETTERS: To the night I'd rather forget

Taking some of the subjects from Women of Letters - see previous post - but keeping with the cultural them of my blog...

To the night I'd rather forget was a concert in Sydney. I have seen many, many concerts over the years, but this was the worst.

It was The Cure....I hear goths gasping all over the country! Now, I had seen The Cure in the late 80s, they were fantastic and wonderful.

Some bands you can see over and over, some you just should not...and this was one...now maybe I got an off night, but either way it was bad! This was early 2000s and for what ever reason they did not sing a single hit!!!

Not one.

I am a pretty decent fan, but not hard core, however, I have most of their albums and appreciate all of their music.

But, imagine all the heavy, slit your wrist tunes they do, A Forest being the lighter of them all (they did play that!), and then imagine them all back to back, almost seamless...you'll get the picture.

Early in, I thought what the hell!?!

Where was Love Cats, Friday I'm in Love, In Between Days, Why Can't I be you, Close to me.....

In continued to listen, and then I looked around the Sydney Entertainment Centre - I had never seen so many empty seats...they had not been so empty in ages.

I did something I had never done before, I went for a wander in the middle of the concert. My friends looked at me a bit oddly, they know my stance of proper concert etiquette...I get funny about such things. Once I got to the bar areas I saw the largest congregation of goths, all sitting, chatting, drinking!!! I guess they were as bored as me.

When I returned, I noticed a lot of ageing goths nodding off...it was too dreary for even them!!!

I have no idea what was going on in Robert Smith's head that night, and it went on...over 2 hours and we left after the second encore!!!

I remember reading there was a falling out in the band, maybe they were not allowed to sing the hits, maybe they choose not to.

All I remember thinking was I was never getting those hours back!

No comments: