Tuesday, May 8, 2012

GLEN CAMPBELL

GLEN CAMPBELL

I grew up with Glen Campbell and have always loved him. He is the best kind of country...melodic and smooth. Jimmy Webb, who wrote most of his songs, is a genius. I have gotten grief about my love of Glen, but I don't care. He is great to sing along to, a little melancholy, a little uplifting.

TRACK EIGHT: Rhinestone Cowboy

What a grand song!

Great lyrics, smooth vocals, solid rhythm.

"but, I'm going to be where the lights are shining on me"

Fabulous for Karaoke...not that I'd know...much...



TRACK NINE: Galveston

A Jimmy Webb classic. The rich timbre of Campbell's voice really suits this.
I love the clip too, understated and simple - much like the song.



TRACK TEN: Wichita Lineman

This is classic Jimmy Webb: the yearning and melancholy, the light strings, the deep guitar and great lyrics. When Jimmy sings it is a bit more 'damaged'.

"And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time"
Oh my, we all know *that* feeling...

REM have also done a great cover of this which I will include further below, Stipe's voice realy suits Webb.








5 comments:

Vince Dale said...

I too am a Glen Campbell fan. I have always loved 'it's sin when you love somebody' (Jimmy Webb again). Very emotional. It's on YouTube.

Cathy said...

Great song Vince, they all are. Webb was the master and Campbell the perfect interpreter.

Anonymous said...

And you tease me about John Williamson??

Cathy said...

I just knew you would write something like that, lol!! Well, that I deserve...I will stand by Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb forever!

Cathy said...

I must add I remember doing karaoke to Rhinestone Cowboy on the Wangi Queen for a K-Mart Christmas party MANY years ago - late 80s I suppose.
Now, Glen was not as respected then as he is now, especially not by the crowd that night, but by the end of the night people were slapping me on the back!!! It could have endly so badly!