Sunday, January 20, 2013

HITCHCOCK: THE FILM

 
I went to the movies with friends last Monday night to see Hitchcock. I liked it, but didn't love it...I suppose that was bound to happen. I wanted to love it, I am a fan, huge fan, and whilst I did not have high expectations, I did have some expectations...unsure what they were but the film did not meet them. That is not to say it is bad.


I felt Hopkins (whom I adore) was not a good enough Hitch, I knew he was never going to look like him, but had heard a grab of his voice in the trailers and figured that would do it...it did not and it was not as good as those snippets. Hitchcock's voice was more booming, fearful, and resounding with that perfect touch of humour and an internal wink of eye...Hopkins just didn't get it, well, at least not consistently.


I also found Mirren's Alma a little off base too. She shone in every scene, stealing it from Hitchcock, and whilst we all know she was the woman behind the man, from what I have read that is not how she positioned herself. She was a little bit more stitched up than portrayed.


And I think that was it, you never for a moment forgot it was Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins...not what you need on a biopic, and not one as important (to me and I suspect others) as this.


The remaining supporting cast were wonderful, in particular Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh - she nailed it, as did James D'Arcy as Anthony Perkins and Jessica Biel as Vera Miles. Toni Collette also a stand out as Peggy Robertson, Hitch's production assistant.


What I loved about the film - there was much to love - was the intricacies of film making, a lot of it ground breaking. This is where the film shone and there should have been more of it. The direness of finding that perfect new subject matter, keeping it secret (would never happen today), the casting, the types of shots used, the soundtrack, the shower scene. From my reading of Hitchcock I know there was a lot more to it than shown in this film...an opportunity lost and a shame.


If you are a fan I still recommend it, there will be scenes that just make you smile. It was a good film, just not great and the master of suspense deserves great!

2 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Such a shame I missed it - but I think I will go along and check it out after reading this. Great review.

Cathy said...

We missed you. Meant to talk about it last night, but the rains got in the way ;)
Worth seeing for sure.