Sunday, February 3, 2013

January Round Up, Part 2

This second part of my January Round Up features short reviews of the books, movies, tv, and music I have consumed.
 
Books I've read
Manhattan Dreaming and Am I Black Enough For you, both by Anita Heiss. Such talent and range. Manhattan Dreaming is chick lit, and a romping good read with subtle messages about self worth, love and life...set in New York (one of my favourite cities in the world). Am I Black Enough For You is part memoir/part Aboriginal history and is outstanding. I love memoirs, and this is one of the best I have read. Fascinating and heart wrenching, I identified with so much of it, despite being...you know, pasty white!
 
My hundred lovers by Susan Johnson, a fictional account of our heroine's 100 loves. Set in short chapters, some only paragraphs, some longer, this is beautifully written, sentimental (in the best possible way), sexy and clever...not all the 100 are men.
 
Then, at opposite ends of the spectrum, I devoured Audrey: the 60s by David Wills and Weird Al: the book by Nathan Rabin and Al Yankovic...both fabulous coffee table books with great photos. How can you not love either of these wonderful people!?!
 
I am back to listening to talking books in the car. I prefer non-fiction read by the authors themselves.
 
So, I have listened to My mother was nuts written and read by Penny Marshall. Penny, most widely known as Laverne from Laverne and Shirley and a director of Jumpin' Jack Flash, Big, A league of their own, has a distinctive voice and once you get used to that you are on a fabulous ride. I had absolutely no idea all the things she has done in her life, and what a life she has led. She pretty much knows everyone in Hollywood and from this tells some amazing stories. She is very deadpan about it all, and truly unaffected by any of it. She tells it like it is, I love that! Favourite story I did not know, that Robert De Niro was cast in Big because her first choice, Tom Hanks did not want it. The movie was not a 'big' enough vehicle for him...yet her friend Bobby was keen. Then when Tom heard that, he figured it might be ok after all, so Marshall had to sack De Niro!! Mind=blown!!!! She also has some fabulous phrases she uses, "clusterfuck of confusion" being my favourite...I shall use this one day, oh yes I will!
 
I moved on from the jarring voice of Penny to the dulcit tones of Bill Bryson. I adore Bill and have read most of his books many years ago, so have decided to renew my love. His humour is a subtle, dry humour, which I totally love, but listening to him narrate the story is perfection. I have nearly driven the car off the road laughing. I have started with his return to America after living in the UK for most of his life, I'm a stranger here myself.
 
DVDs I've watched
The Town, a gritty heist gone wrong film, directed and starring Ben Affleck. I liked this a lot, Ben is a great film maker with an eye for detail.
 
My nephew came to stay and it was one of those hot weekends so we devoured the Jurassic Park Trilogy and Batman: the movie. He had never seen Jurassic Park and loved it. I had not seen it in ages and appreciated the re-watch. The other 2 were nowhere near as good as the first. Batman: the movie is a personal favourite of both of us, we have watched it a lot. It is a movie that was made in the 60s with the TV cast and is superbly camp, we particularly love the shark that tries to eat Batman...to be seen!!!
 
Extremely loud and incredibly close was one I was unsure about, but still has me thinking about it. I have not read the book, but it is a post 9/11 story about a boy trying to make a last connection with his father who was killed that day. I did feel manipulated, but the story resonated. Stunning performance from the lead and very subtle small roles by Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks as the parents.
 
Martha Marcy May Marlene is about a young girl who escapes from a cult and is as disturbing as it sounds. A little indie drama with stunning acting from Elizabeth Olsen and Sarah Pauley.
 
Steven Soderbergh's Haywire is a must see, my favourite of this bunch. Soderbergh wrote the film for professional boxer GIna Carano after meeting her. She stars as a black ops soldier seeking revenge after being betrayed during a mission. It is an action film, which I am normally not a fan of, but she steals the entire show and is amazing. Her supporting cast are Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas and Michael Fassbender.
 
TV I've been watching
I finally got around to watching Girls. And it's my new favourite show, 4 girls in their 20s trying to make sense of life in New York. It's real, gritty and honest...and very funny. Dunham writes, directs, produces and stars, what a talent. It's clever and edgy, a must see indeed!!
 
Dexter is winding up in it's second last season (S7) and I found it a tough one to get through. He is risking being caught, his sister has realised his secret and he is walking an incredibly fine tightrope. I adore Michael C. Hall and his fabulous Dexter, but I really struggled this season, and I think it's because I didn't like he might be caught, it made me feel uncomfortable...now, what that says about me, I am unsure. I prefer to put it down to fabulous writing and stunning acting!
 
Caught a live to air documentary on SBS called Venice 24/7. It was an amazing behind the scenes look at emergency services in Venice. So you got to see lots of gorgeous parts of the city. Some of the people involved were a bit bumbling, so I was glad I didn't take ill whilst I was there!
 
Castle is a formulaic cop show, and I normally do not go for such things. But Castle stars the divine Nathan Fillion (The Captain from Firefly) and has quirky storylines set in New York so what's not to love. S4 sucked me in as the previous seasons have.
 
Movies I went to
The Hobbit was my Boxing Day birthday movie. I loved it, and as I have recently read the book, it was exactly as I imagined. The little extra bits worked and helped tie it to Lord of the Rings better. I did feel it lagged in the middle and some of the journey and fight scenes were stretched out longer than necessary. Martin Freeman is perfectly cast as Bilbo and I especially loved Barry Humphries as The Goblin King. My favourite scenes were the exchange between Gollum and Bilbo, and the final scene with the big reveal.
 
Life of Pi is one of my favourite books. I never imagined it could be a film, but then I heard Ang Lee was attempting it and I knew it was in safe hands. He got it! It is a must see and especially in 3D, as it is simply stunning. The effects were so well done you never for a moment realised they were effects. It is a gentle ride with large subject matter and an underlying philosophical and religious thread...and then there is a turn that punches you so hard you're left breathless...as in the book. This may seem like a simple fable, but like most fables there is something larger lying beneath the surface.
 
Hitchcock I have reviewed separately, see here http://www.reviews-vyv.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/hitchcock-film.html
 
Monsieur Lazhur was our first Lighthouse Film. It was cancelled and played at a club a week later. (Man, has this weather been crazy or what!?!) What a beautiful film. French Canadian, it is about an Allgerian refugee who becomes the teacher to a class after their actual teacher commits suicide in the classroom. With his old fashioned and different ways he begins to help heal these children who have been traumatised and in turn helps heal himself. The story unfolds gently and whilst having difficult themes it uplifting and at times funny. The children are amazing and Mohamed Fellag as Lazhar is wonderful. Have tissues on hand, we sobbed as whilst uplifting it is still incredibly sad.
 
Paris Manhattan is the most delightful French romance. Alice has loved Woody Allen films since she was a teen and always turned to them and Woody for life advice. Her love life is always in ruins and her family are constantly trying to set her up with appropriate men. The movie plays like a good Woody Allen romance, with funny moments, great shots of Paris, and fabulous music. Alice Taglioni, who plays Alice, is a charismatic actress and perfect for the role. And then there is that scene towards the end of the movie where a door opens and...well, that would be telling you too much! Go and see the film, it sung to me, and in fact could have been written for me as a Woody Allen fan, I just loved it...no, I lurved it!
 
Music I've been listening to
 
New Tori Amos - reworked versions of older songs, very easy to listen to.
 
Tempest, Bob Dylan - loving this, Bob just gets better and better.
 
Puberty Blues Soundtrack - lots of great 70s tunes.
 
I awake, Sarah Blasko - lovely haunting tunes as you would expect.
 
new Luka Bloom - sweet and melodic, always relaxing to listen to.
 
new Alicia Keyes - a range of styles, catchy and excellent.
 
I have bought heaps of new CDs this month, but not gotten around to listening to them properly yet.

No comments: