Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Year in Music: 1997

As I follow V's Project of Songs of the Year I am finding less and less. This is pretty much into my lost years at this point.
 
Having said that a lot of quality songs were released in 1997, so much so that I struggled to work out which should go in my Top 5!
 
The Australian hits were Silverchair's Freak, Kylie Did it Again, Savage Garden's Truly Madly Deeply, and Natalie Imbruglia's Torn. (And Pauline Pantsdown with Back Door Man!)
 
 
The big hits were Chumbawamba's Tubthumping (which got pretty annoying rather quickly), Smashmouth's Walkin' on the Sun, and Song 2 from Blur (which will never get annoying).
 
 
Red Hot Chili Peppers had Love Rollercoaster, and Foo Fighters had Monkey Wrench. We were dancing to Cosmic Girl from Jamiroquai and Lovefool from The Cardigans.
 
 
Melancholy was well represented this year, I adored all the following.
 
We waited three years for Portishead to follow up Dummy, and it was worth it with, All mine, Only You, and Over. Beth Gibbons never sounded better!
 
 
Bjork released the hypnotic Joga from Homogenic, and another amazing video from Michel Gondry featuring Iceland.
 
 
Jewel grew from strength to strength with You Were Meant For Me and Foolish Games.
 
 
And Bruce Springsteen's Secret Garden, from Jerry Maguire the movie and Blood Brothers the album, was haunting.
 
 
My Top Five are as follows:
 
You Sound Like Louis Burdett by The Whitlams
This is a great jangly, jazzy tune that I can't hear without dancing. (couldn't find a good video of this)
 
 
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces by Ben Folds Five
Another dancy piano tune, I do like Ben Folds.
 
 
Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
Controversial for sure, but it's name says it all, I will never tire of hearing this magnificent piece.
 
 

Into My Arms by Nick Cave
One of my all time Nick Cave songs, haunting and beautiful, one even Nick says he is proud of writing. And why wouldn't you, it is stunning. His deep, strong voice against the piano - what else do you need. Favourite lyric: "And I don't believe in the existence of angels, but looking at you I wonder if that's true." Wow, imagine someone writing that about you...
 
 
Even When I'm Sleeping by Leonardo's Bride
This is one of my all time favourite love songs, the fragility and range of Abby Dobson's voice kills me every single time.
 
 

No comments: