Monday, March 2, 2020

FEBRUARY REVIEWS

What I've Been Reading


The Shepherd’s Hut by Tim Winton – I listened to this on spoken word read by Kate Mulvany. What a great story, about a young boy who is on the run in the outback and finds a hut and an old man. Why is the man there, alone in the middle of nowhere, should he approach him, and why indeed is the boy on the run anyway? Kate Mulvany brings this storytelling alive with her accents and fabulous vocal stylings. And Winton, once again, shows he is the master of storytelling. I felt like I was there and could imagine every thing that happened, a remarkable skill that not every writer has.

The Friend by Sigrid Nunez - This was a lovely shortish novel (only 212 pages) and a delight to read. It is about a woman, who inherits an ageing Great Dane, when her friend and mentor commits suicide. She is an English Literature Lecturer. The book is a mix of various subjects and themes. It is a meditation on her friend's life and her pondering on why he did what he did. It is about Literature and her thoughts wander to great writers and how they would look at situations, Woolf figures heavily of course. And then there is her relationship with this great dog, she initially is reluctant to take on the responsibility, mostly as her rent-controlled apartment in NY does not allow dogs. This could have been a depressing and dull book, but it is uplifting, fascinating, educational (in a good way) and interesting. I really loved this book.

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig – this was a solid little read. It is part memoir, part self-help, and about the period of his life when he had serious depression and anxiety, and tried to commit suicide. It beautifully describes how he was feeling, or not feeling and how he – with much help – pulled himself through it. It is a great book to read if you or someone you know suffers from this affliction, it is easy to read and understand and super helpful!

Complete Self Help For Your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes - I read about Dr Weekes in Clare Bowditch's magnificent memoir. Her works really helped her recover from a bad nervous breakdown when she was much younger. As I suffer from anxiety and mild depression from time to time, I figured it was worth a read. All of the books we hold at the library by Dr Weekes are in demand, presumably by those who have read Clare's book as most are quite old. I found the book enlightening and easy to read and follow. And I found I already utilise a lot of her methods, thanks to my own time in therapy. But there was a lot more I picked up, especially in terms of sleep, too much and when you can't. Given everyone suffers from what Holly Golightly called 'the mean reds' from time to time, I think this is a book everyone should read. 

The Power Age: a celebration of life's second act by Kelly Doust - this was a great book full of all sorts of information on ageing presented in a sexy, sassy, and powerful way. Interviews with famous and not so famous people on the power of ageing. Tips and tricks about all sorts of things relating to ageing from work to relationships to sex and health. This was a great book to dip in and out of. As I approach 50 I am determined not to feel old and in despair!


Taming Toxic People: the science of identifying and dealing with psychopaths at work and at home by David Gillespie – I listened to an episode of Conversations with Richard Fidler on it. David is most well known for his Poison Sugar books but this is infinitely more interesting. But he was talking about this book and it was incredibly frightening and yet utterly fascinating. I recognised behaviours of acquaintances and it gave me shivers. Long story short, you really cannot win over these douchbags, you’ve gotta run away. But that, of course, is not always possible, so there are tips on how to manoeuvre around these idiots. If you feel there are psychopaths in your path or just regular toxic people, especially in the workplace, this book WILL unnerve you but it will help you manage through.


Elegance: the beauty of French fashion by Megan Hess – this is another stunning book by Hess. She writes about fashion and style, and illustrates the book herself with the most gorgeous strokes. Her books are works of art.

Incidental Inventions by Elena Ferrante - I honestly do not understand why Ferrante is held in such a high adoration. I think her writing is good and readable, but it is not great. This is a book of essays or columns for a newspaper she wrote over a year. Sh
e was given interesting topics that could have been quite fascinating to write about and they were readable and good, but again, not great.

Picasso – this is a lovely little art book I picked up second hand at Cooks Hill Book Shop. It tells the story of Picasso in a brief memoir and more detailed description of his artistic value and his various stages accompanied by a fabulous painting on each page. I do love Picasso, so this was pure joy.

What I've Been Watching


Everything's Gonna Be OK - this is the new Josh Thomas and it is, of course, wonderful. Much like his absolutely brilliant Please Like Me, this has a lovely loose vibe that layers the characters week after week. It has the same lovely jaunty melancholy. Again, Josh plays a similar version of himself, a little but flakey, a little bit funny. He is holidaying with his father in the US when he learns his father hasn't long to live due to an aggressive cancer. He becomes the guardian of his 2 teenage step-sisters. The older is high-functioning autistic and the younger one is a little shy and doesn't fit in well. Josh is in a new relationship and remains in the US to juggle all these commitments. It is stunning and funny and sad and melancholy. Josh just writes such beautiful layered characters in very real situations. He is a National Treasure. Oh and there is a dog, an amazing dog!!! 

Shrill S2 -  I loved S1 so much, I thought S2 would never arrive, but it did and it was as good, if not possibly better! It picks up exactly where it left off, and hilariously so. I loved Aidy Bryant before this, I worship her now, lol! She is as fierce and fabulous as her writer, Lindy West. I read and loved Shrill years ago and was a little worried when they announced this show, I should not have been. Aidy plays Annie, a 'larger' size gal who is a writer with a loud voice waiting to emerge. I personally would call Annie - based on what I see in my life - an average sized gal, but whatever. The show runs far deeper than size. It has fascinating, layered characters and this season we get to know all of them a bit more. Both Annie and her flatmate/bestie, Fran (man I love Lolly Adefope) have challenging relationships with their mothers, and this season brings that to a stunning head. Daniel Stern is a revelation as Annie's father. Her relationship with her boyfriend continued to confuddle me (no spoilers!) and that with her spectacularly toxic boss, Gabe (John Cameron Mitchell is everything, his party episode is truly wonderful, and it gets to showcase the other talents we know he has - ok spoiler, he does a brilliant version of Moonage Daydream!). Shrill S2 is totally worth your time, not only will you be entertained and amused (it is very funny) but you will grow watching it. I know that sounds wanky, but trust me, it is a worthwhile thing!

Will and Grace S3 - been loving this new season, these guys, they are just brilliant together and funny. It is what we need in these dreary times. What more can I say, you know the show, get with the program.

Celebrity Gogglebox UK - ok, this is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I watch regular Australian Gogglebox and love it. When I stumbled across this I felt a little dirty, I have to say. The term celebrity is used very loosely and if it wasn't for the gorgeous Martin Kemp (from Spandau Ballet and still very good looking, in fact, better looking) and his teenage son, I probably would have passed. They are lovely and some of the others grow on you. The final two episodes bring in a new couple, Shaun and his mate, Bez, from Manchester. Yes, Shaun Ryder and Bez from The Happy Mondays, and they are as hilarious as you can imagine. I want more!!!!


Amazing Race - I do love anything to do with travel and other countries, and this will always suck me in, even though some of the people are super annoying, always the ones who win too, sigh. 

Booksmart – I enjoyed this movie about 2 swotty girls on the eve of high school graduation racing to do all the fun stuff they missed out on while they were studying. It has gotten rave reviews, I wouldn’t go that far. I felt like I had seen the film before numerous times to the point I wondered whether it was a remake of something. But in all a good teen movie.

Bee Nation  - documentary following some First Nation kids from a small town in the first province-wide First Nations Spelling Bee. It shows families doing it rough ensuring their kids get a fair go at life. Some very smart cookies in the mix and watching the actual Spelling Bee has you on the edge of your seat hoping the kids get through. Really wonderful stuff.

What I've Been Listening To


Colorado - Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Neil is as prolific as ever, and this was a good solid album, but nothing outstanding.


Everyday Life by Coldplay – this is very different to other Coldplay albums and I really enjoyed it. I know it is not cool to like Coldplay but I do. I don’t worship them or would call myself a fan. But I do like them. This is a very chill album, I felt incredibly relaxed listening to it. It had a real Pink Floyd vibe to it in part. I read an article where they played around with genres and you really get that feeling. Worth a listen.

Wild Seeds by Seeker Lover Keeper -  also a very chill album, but given the trio of Aussie singers that is to be expected. Seeker Lover Keeper are the sublime Sarah Blasko, Sally Seltman, and Holly Throsby and this is their 2nd album, 8 years after the first. It is lovely, melodic, beautiful, touching, all the feels. Totally recommend.


Remind Me Tomorrow by Sharon Van Etten – I really like Sharon Van Etten’s atmospheric, hypnotic sound. It is no wonder she was in Twin Peaks and on the soundtrack. Modern and catchy, yet thoroughly classic feeling. The album is a little bit pop, a little bit ballad, a little bit trip-hop, a little bit everything. Whilst I know her work, this is the first album of hers I have listened to and I really loved it.


Hit Parade  - another new podcast! Oh vey, so many podcasts, so little time. This is by a journo from Slate magazine and each episode he tackles a subject and how it relates to something else or history musically. Absolutely fabulous, as a music buff I am learning things and remembering stuff long forgotten. He links Tom Petty with Prince in one episode (more cross overs than you would think), Elton and George Michael, the history of Red Red Wine, B-sides, Madonna, The Beatles and so on. If you love music, this is for you! I think they only come out monthly, but I am going back to the beginning and listening in order, there are a lot to catch up on.

Rumble with Michael Moore  -  Continuing to love this prolific podcast. I loved the RuPaul episode, if you want to hear a lovely chat about inclusiveness and making the world a better place, this is for you. Moore and RuPaul have a lovely chemistry and I can assure you, you will smile and feel better about the world. The De Niro one is equally as fabulous, but more political and packs a punch. These guys are amazing and similarly placed politically and their take down on Trump the Clown is pretty brilliant!

No comments: