Tuesday, April 7, 2020

d'ARENBERG CUBE

Once I had decided to go to Adelaide and Womad, the first thing I did was research what else there was to do that I would be interested in.

d'Arenberg was the first thing that came up in my searches and I knew I was holidaying in the right spot for me.

d'Arenberg Cube is an amazing piece of avant gaarde architecture that is placed in the middle of McLaren Vale wine country.

AND it has a Dali exhibition!!!!

I tried to find more information, but all it said there were some original large sculptures temporarily in the grounds and an Alternate Realities Museum in the Cube.

I HAD TO GO THERE!


Once I arrived in Adelaide, I realised this was not an easy place to get to. After a bit of investigating, I found a Hop on Hop off Bus Vineyard Tour. There were 15 or so vineyards to choose from over a day. Ideally you would choose 4 with an hour at each. I choose 3 to give me 2 hours at d'Arenberg.

When I was dropped off I was overcome by the large Dali Sculptures outside at the entrance. The Vineyard was large and sprawling with outer sheds and gardens. There was a smaller cafe, and wine tasting area in a lovely old wooden cottage away from the main section, an old converted shed, where you collect your wine as you leave. Gardens of sculptures and odd things, and a marquee with a temporary, contemporary art exhibition. Mostly paintings that you could purchase.




But it was the cube itself that stuck out beautifully like a beacon amongst the vines. Huge, unusual, and just simply glorious, it made me smile.


I walked up the path curious about my adventure.


Inside the entrance was dark and quirky, with odd sculptures and prints on the walls. I had pre-booked, so my name was ticked off and I was given a token for the Dali section.


This bottom floor was the Alternate Realities Museum. It was a selection of joined rooms, each with oddities within. There was strange dioramas and sculptures, some with a weird circus sideshow feel. A movie room with a Daliesque film showing, trippy and psychedelic. A room with Dali inspired paintings and portraits. Some things were interactive and people were wandering around mouths open and eyes wide. It was my kind of place. I spent a long time exploring there.










I took a lift up to the first floor. I was keen to explore it all, but needed to use the bathroom of which this was located. The floor was simply the bathroom and the kitchen for the restaurant on the floor above. There was a wide glass window and an area with lounges near where you could sit and watch the action in the kitchen. Also large windows on the outer edge of the cube giving you views of the area.

But the Bathrooms were the most remarkable bathrooms I have ever been in.

You enter Tardis like doors through to a wonderful open room with loads of glass views. There was a wash area that looked like a sculpture and inside the toilets themselves was something out of a Dali or Surrealist painting. The tardis like booths were indeed larger than they seemed, painted with various designs and suitable decor. Yes! I looked in several.







I then headed up to the Third Floor, missing Floor 2 as it was the restaurant and you could only go in with a booking and they were booked months in advance.

The Third Floor was more than I could even begin to have imagined.

Oh My Goodness!!!

Soo many Dali Sculptures, large and small and a few prints also.  The story goes like this: towards the end of his life Dali was convinced to make molds of the sculptures he was doing at that time, so those in the future may be able to own a piece of his art. Everything here was NOT the original but a cast of it. This may seem disappointing, but it was not at all. They were glorious and so many, you'd never see that many outside of a proper Dali Museum. Each were priced, and indeed - had I had the money - I could have purchased whatever I liked.



















I bought a melting clock necklace, lol!!

I spent a long time there, looking at each piece, taking pics, and looking at the stunning views. It was an overcast day and some of my pics are not great. So much light coming in from the glass cube it made some pieces difficult to photograph. There is so much more than what I have to show! I think a sunnier day would have made it even more difficult, but I was glad of the overcast, it adds drama to some of the pics.






Once I was finished I went up to the top floor for some more views and pics. No, I didn't taste any wine, lol. That was not why I was there. 





Then right down to explore the grounds before being collected by the bus.







It was a tremendous 2 hours and I fully recommend it to anyone to visit. I just loved my experience there.



No comments: