Monday, April 6, 2020

SOUTH AUSTRALIAN MUSEUM

I visited the South Australian Museum directly after the State Library.

It is also in multiple buildings. the original older building, was opened in 1893 with an official opening in 1915. A more modern section was added between the Museum and Library including a cafe later that century.



The older building was glorious and just truly one of the best museums I have seen. It is the oldest museum in Australia and holds the largest Aboriginal Art and Artefact collections in the world, with a new addition for that looking to be open by 2024.

The Collections were wide and varied and these are my highlights.


The Aboriginal Section, which fills a entire floor, was remarkable. I didn't take enough photos as I was memerised!



The next level up had a scientific laboratory with samples and all sorts of interesting dead AND alive 'things' in glass. It was fascinating, bones, fossils, skulls, plants and so on.






I loved the Polynesian collection, it was huge and there were so many unusual pieces, large boats, stuffed Birds of Paradise, statues and so on.






Andy Thomas' Space Suit


Their collection of gems, stones, fossils, geodes and more was absolutely outstanding. My eyes popped out of my head at how much they had.








They had a small room of Egyptian artefacts, but it was also super impressive.






And the building itself was grand.

I spent so much time there, it was really wonderful.




No comments: