Saturday, October 10, 2009

CONCERT: CHRIS ISAAK

LOCATION: State Theatre, Sydney

DATE: Tuesday 22 September, 2009

WITH: Nole, Vince, Phil

After what one can only describe as the most perfect day - shopping at Bondi Junction and the most delectable meal at a French restaurant/cafe near the Kent Street carpark - we had the most perfect evening!

I have been a fan of Chris Isaak from the get go and have all his CDs, I love his voice, his style, his humour and his old fashioned presentation - yet I had never seen him live. A long running joke with friends is I believe he is gay and his partner is his drummer, Kenny!! Have you watched them look at each other when they play, hmmmm. Some people get very cranky at me when I say this, others agree with me, either way, I always say, a night at Club Cathy would surely make him see the error of his ways if he is (not that there is anything wrong with that!) ....

So I enter the State Theatre (I love that building, it is gorgeous), with high expectations and they were met and then some...this is what I want when I see a concert. We had good seats upstairs and after an auction of a signed guitar for over 10 thousand dollars (who goes to a concert with that kind of money to throw away, far out!!!) the night began. His first song was Dancin' - fabulous and hypnotic and well, very sexy. He did about 4 or so songs back to back before addressing the audience, as Vince said a true performer, sure of his stuff and that he was. He was chatty, but not too much, amusing, entertaining, funny, the whole package, he played everything you wanted and sung them as they were meant to be sung and sung them well, his band were great and tight. Early on he entered the audience downstairs to mingle as he sung and then he came upstairs whilst singing Elvis, Love me tender (does not get more perfect than that). He was not that near us, but close enough, I was entranced. He played from just after 9 to well after 11, with only one small break to change into the most spectacular Mirrorball suit - oh yeah!!!!

It was indeed a great concert, on our way out of the city, we drove past the stage door (unintentionally) and I spotted Kenny, and then Chris, there were some people waiting for autographs and they took their time, including signing drumsticks (that were thrown into the audience) for a young boy, he looked thrilled. I just liked that the person you see seems to be the person he is - consummate performer and all round good guy.

1 comment:

Vince Dale said...

Have to concur with all of this, Cathy. He is a great showman and a terrific singer and songwriter.

He does have a 'shtick', but he makes it endearing.