Friday, January 15, 2010

BECK

BECK

I like Beck and understand he is an acquired taste, but he is clever and funky and well, cute! I have also always been amused his last name is Hansen and didn't he come out around the same time as that kiddie group Hansen? I secretly think he is the older, hipper brother they disowned, he he...

TRACK ONE: Beer Can
From the opening riff you are hooked, well I am! It's a funky guitar and a great bass line. His lyrics are always a 10 course meal, they take time to digest, Beer Can is no exception. It is a funky song, "just shakes your boots and let it all hang loose." His songs definately have heaps of samples and experimentation in them, which make them difficult to add to mix tapes, I think Beck needs to be heard with Beck. So that is why it worked out well to begin this disc with him. And to paraphrase that old Woody Allen saying, I prefer the older stuff.

TRACK TWO: Devil's Haircut
Love the reverb on this one, again funky, great rhythm and more inspired lyrics. His singing is almost monotone on this and it really works. Then it ends with the mad distorted, almost Waits like vocals, fabulous!

No comments: