Wednesday, September 19, 2012

ROCKWIZ

 
I love RocKwiz, it's probably my favourite show. It's a simple format, so obvious you wonder why no one else has tried to produce it. Music and trivia in a pub - and not just any pub, the fabulously seedy Esplanade Hotel in St Kilda or as it is lovingly known, The Espy.
 
Every aspect works - the RocKwiz Orkestra - tight, brilliant and Australian Rock 'n' Roll royalty! Julia Zemiro shines, sharp and funny, I want to be her when I grow up. Dugald adds that pub roadie feel and Brian Nankervis hold it all together with his bounce and upbeat excitement about all things musical! The audience participation is usually more hit than miss - which is a rarity and the musical guests are always superb.
 
I love the show and have watched it from the start, for all of the above and also because I am a bit of a rock nerd and love testing my own musical knowledge and seeing how I rate...mostly pretty good I must say! And I love my RocKwiz community on Twitter - like minded fabulous Novocastrians and some a little further a field. We have a blast, and I was sad to pass on joining some of them at the recent RockWiz tour. I was saving madly for my trip and didn't get a ticket.
 
However, due to the generosity of a lovely lady I managed to get to the Civic Theatre on Thursday 30 August and see the tour! There are no words to describe my thankfulness and joy at this stunning act!
 
So, I dragged along Mary, met up with Tania and we were ready for a night of musical awesomeness!!!
 
Almost time to start, finishing a drink in the bar, Brian comes bounding out - with as much energy as you see on tele - and encouraging us all to take our seats!
 
The first half was Brian and the audience members. He started by talking to us about his first real Rock 'n' Roll love - The Rolling Stones. Like every good rock nerd, it was more preaching, but in the best possible way. He was fabulous and funny and assisted by Dugald. There were 24 audience members and they were asked many questions and tested on heaps of riffs (my specialty) to get them down to the 4 who appeared on stage in the second half. This section was entertaining and amusing. I imagine it is much like the real experience at The Espy.
 
 
After a break, the show proper started, Ash Naylor was sitting in with the fabulous three! And the Bull Sisters assisting with backing vocals. Brian introduced Julia, who in turn introduced and sung with Vika and Linda. All as you would imagine if you are a fan of the show. Then it was down to business, there was a keyboard on stage, so in my mind I was thinking someone like Kate Miller-Heidke or Tim Freedman, as soon as they said her date of birth and double barreled surname, I knew it was Kate - Yay! I am quite the fan, love her vocal range, her individuality and her wicked sense of humour. We were in for a treat.
 
Next guest - well, all you needed was Greg from Darwin - I went a little bit ballistic, HUGE Tex Perkins fan and I like to think I am the only one who has coined the phrase Texy - which perfectly describes him. Pretty much a member of the RocKwiz family, Tex was right at home on stage, was funny and Texy and my night was made. Oh sang Iggy Pop's The Passenger - It really does not get any better!!!!
 
Then there was a third guest - again, beside myself, Marcia Hines (do we really even need a last name!). I have been a fan of Marcia since Countdown, played her when it was uncool to play her and then of course via Idol she was back on top. Love her voice, never seen her live (something I must rectify) and she sang You, which would probably be my favourite of hers!!! It was like the show was put together especially for me.
 
 
The final guest was Suze De Marche from Baby Animals, did not really care for them, however I appreciate her voice and her rock attitude, she sounded good.
 
In between each guest performance were plenty of questions, antics, and laughs. Then it was almost over!
 
Kate and Tex sang a haunting duet - cannot remember what it was and then everyone was on stage for the finale of Joe Cocker's The Letter. Tex should think about doing a Cocker show once he is finished with Cash - he belted it out brilliantly. The show had gone on for well over 3 hours by this point, we left feeling happy but wanting more...the sure sign of an excellent show.
 
I highly recommend going along if you ever get the chance. (PS my photos aren't great, but better than nothing!)
 
 
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy-I was lucky enough to have been one of the 4 Rockwizzers and not only job well done on your piece,but what I experienced that night will be cherished for a long time.
Glad you enjoyed the show as much as I did.
Cheers!
John

The Fresh Ingredient said...

I wasn't really dragged along.....had to fight off the husband - he wanted to go along & promise treats to the kids to get away.....but wow! What a great night, such fun! Texy...Oh Texy, Brian, Julia, Kate M-H, Marcia (my first rock love), Vika & Linda, Ash & Suze ......EXCELLENT!

Cathy said...

Hi John, congrats on being up on stage - impressive feat indeed. It was an excellent night for sure!

Ahhh Mary, Yes, your arm did not need much twisting, though I did think Peter might fight you for the ticket, lol!!!

Going again next year for sure :)

Juan said...

I was one of the other Rockwizzers and had a ball. Would love to have watched it from the audience but would not have traded my place for anything.
Regards Juan

Cathy said...

Hi Juan, I remember you, excellent work!