Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Jean Paul Gaultier at the NGV


I always love to visit the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) when I am in Melbourne. It always has the most magnificent travelling displays and it's regular collection is spectacular. This is due to the Felton Bequest, if you look closely at all the big pieces in the gallery, you will see this title attached. Alfred Felton came to Australia during the gold rush, was an importer, collected art, and lived in the Esplanade Hotel in St Kilda. You can see why he is a hero of mine. When he died in 1904 he left half of his estate (including his own impressive art collection) to the NGV!
 
The exhibition this time was unlike any I had seen before. It was Jean Paul Gaultier, his fashion as art sensibility being anything but sensible. My mind was blown at the range and style of his art.
 
The first section was early wearable fashion. I was transfixed by the models, these new age models had digital faces. One even had the face of Jean Paul himself!






Then the iconic section.



 
The runway and punk section.






Then the subversive; sheer fabric, and peep show art.




 
Then outlandish costume, remarkable handiwork.






 
And finally the famous dresses for stars.
 
Dita Von Teese

 
Beth Ditto...I love this one BTW!


Nicole Kidman - Oscar dress, winning for The Hours


Kylie Minogue



Cate Blanchett



Afterwards I had a quick zip into the regular gallery to see my favourite pieces.

Picasso's Weeping Woman, oh how I love this glorious gal!


A small version of Rodin's The Thinker


And the magnificent cathedral ceiling - I could sit or lay down and look up forever at this.


And for the first time ever I had a wander in the glorious sculpture garden.






And had one last look at this temporary piece in the foyer!!!


No comments: