Sunday, December 6, 2015

CHRISTMAS SONGS

I love Christmas and I love Music, but Christmas Music can be a bit insipid.

My lovely friend and fellow music lover, Athena, has been posting her favourite Christmas song everyday on facebook and asking people what they like. It's been fabulous.
 
This got me thinking, I've made a few Christmas compilations over the years and collect obscure Christmas albums.
 
I grew up with Bing Crosby and the classic Christmas tunes and in my mind, nothing really comes close to those classics. I do love jazz and swing versions of Christmas Songs, so anything the Ratpack, Crosby, Diana Krall, Harry Connick Jnr, and Tony Bennett sing will always draw me in. 

One of my favourite albums is called Christmas Cocktails, from the Ultra Swing Lounge compilations - it's so cool you can hear the ice clinking in the cocktails! Then there are swooners like Elvis and Chris Isaak, their voice smooth and sexy singing classic songs. 

My favourite Christmas albums are James Brown Funked Up Christmas followed Christmas the heart by Bob Dylan - mostly as they are such a ridiculous concept with a mix of actually good and godsmackingly bad tunes you can't help but smile!
 
Here are my top ten songs, or at least the ones I will never tire of hearing. (note. If I wrote this last week or next week the top 10 would mostly likely change, I am not great naming favourites)
 
1. Happy Christmas (war is over) - John Lennon and Yoko Ono


2. White Christmas - Bing Crosby


3. Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt


4. Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley


5. Merry Christmas Baby - Bruce Springsteen


6. Winter Wonderland - Tony Bennett


7. Christmas (Baby please come home) - Darlene Love


8. It's beginning to look like Christmas - Harry Connick Jnr


9. Have yourself a merry little Christmas - Judy Garland


10. Do they know it's Christmas - Band Aid


Honorable mentions to :

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer - Ringo Starr
Jingle Bells - Diana Krall
Sleigh Ride - She and Him
Santa's beard - Beach Boys
O Holy Night - Ella Fitzgerald
I'll be home for Christmas - Sarah McLachlan
2000 Miles - The Pretenders
Fairytale of New York - The Pogue
Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits
I want a hippopotamus for Christmas - Anya Marina
Little Drummer Boy - David Bowie and Bing Crosby
Sock it to me Santa - Bob Seger
The Nutcracker (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy) Tchaikovsky
Feliz Navidad - by anyone
 

I also really love the song All I want for Christmas is you - but I loathe Pariah Carey, so I have a conundrum there!

But really, it's all about the spirit of Christmas, and to be honest, if you're in the spirit, almost any song will do!

Have I left out your favourite or included one you don't like. Come on, don't by shy, tell me about your Christmas faves!

No comments: