Wednesday, September 5, 2018

AUGUST REVIEWS

What I've Been Reading
The Trauma Cleaner: one woman’s extraordinary life in death, decay, and disaster by Sarah Krasnostein - What a remarkable book this was, more than I expected. Sandra Pankhurst is a trauma cleaner, efficient and kind, dealing with the home of hoarders or people who have died or lived rough. She is precise and no-nonsense and yet is keen to bring peace and kindness to these people. But what was most unexpected was the story of Sandra’s life prior to being a trauma cleaner, it unfolds throughout the book and you realise what a remarkable woman she really is. I cannot recommend this book enough, it is beautifully and respectfully written, and a cracking read!

South and West by Joan Didion - I love Joan's writing, she is spare and precise, and yet incredibly descriptive. This is a novella about her time in the South and then travelling back West in the late 60s and 70s. Fascinating snapshot of these places in this time.

Out there - Kerri Sackville - I have to admit I am not much of a fan of Sackville's writing. But this little self help book about online dating had me curious. I have joked that my online dating escapades have at least 2 books in them. This was actually really spot on and helpful, albeit very very vanilla. It gives good, solid advice on how to approach most situations. But mostly it mentioned the good. And look, there is a LOT of good about online dating. I felt it smoothed over the bad a little quickly. The weird and crazy. No matter how well you approach online dating, you WILL get the weird and crazy. Anyway, I do recommend this. In fact, a lot of it convinced me to give that crazy world another go

What I've Been Watching

Detectorists S2 - This is such a well written and witty show. About two hapless dudes who are into metal detectoring in hope of finding Saxon treasure. But it is also about their lives, loves, and friends. It is laugh out loud funny, and also very touching. Cannot wait for S3.

The Affair S4- Holy Guacamole, this show has knocked it out the park this season. Season 1 fascinated me, more the premise rather than the actual story, and most certainly none of the characters were likable, except maybe Cole (but then that could be my extreme Joshua Jackson crush). S2 stretched the premise, and S3 was a bit of a mess, and yet I am still here, why, who knows. And thank goodness, because S4 is something else altogether, superb storytelling, shocking turn arounds, utterly compelling. It was worth the struggle of S2/3 for this. Wish I could say more, but wow!

Sharp Objects - this has left me cold, it is based on a book written by that Gone Girl author, so say no more... I only watched it for Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson and they are great of course, but even they can't help such a weak and rambling mess of a story. Oh and I guessed the outcome from the start.

Patrick Melrose - enjoying this little series about Patrick Melrose, (Played perfectly by Benedict Cumberbatch), who had a traumatic childhood, and was a big druggie in the 80s, and yet is a loveable character. It jumps in time, from his childhood (his parents are played by Jennifer Jason Leigh and Hugo Weaving), to his debauched 20s, to his adult life, married with children and all his demons. This is a great ride, funny and heartbreaking in equal amounts.

Dead Lucky - this could have been great, a fantastic cast led by Rachel Griffiths, but it just felt one note and not fleshed out enough in some ways and yet stretched in others. 

Orange is the New Black S6 - S5 was remarkable, how can they top that. Essentially they cannot, having said that, this season was really great.  It's the kind of show that is difficult to explain cause spoilers. But as always the cast is impressively awesome!

Wellington Paranormal - what a delight, there are few shows that are laugh out loud funny, but this NZ comedy is definitely one of them. Filmed for reals, like a doco, it follows 2 cops who keep stumbling upon weird crimes, and finally their boss explains that Wellington is home to quite a bit of paranormal activity. They play it straight and the special effects are excellent. This is a must see.


The Durrels S1/2  - they have replayed this from scratch leading up to the new S3. This is such a delightful show, I could watch it for ever. I never tire of the stories or the characters, and the beautiful island of Corfu.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling - this documentary by Judd Apatow about his mentor and friend is easily one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It does run for about 4.5 hours and I am a HUGE Garry Shandling fan, so I just lapped it up with great excitement. It covers, the good, the bad, and the ugly, but mostly it is good, uplifting, and very very funny. Garry was a melancholy dude, but he was also a genius and incredibly unique in his creativity. It goes into his family, his start in comedy and spends plenty of time of my favourite comedy ever, The Larry Sanders Show. The title of the documentary comes from all the diaries he gave Judd to use, and the fact he was essentially a zen Buddhist. I cannot recommend this highly enough, even if you don't know much about Garry, if you love comedy, you should. He really was one of the masters. This is utter perfection.

All things must pass: the rise and fall of Tower Records - this was an interesting documentary about the family behind Tower Records and how they got the company started, the excess of the 80s, and then how things went terribly wrong. 

Anh Do - I love this show very much. He is a remarkable talent and an interested man, which makes for a wonderful human interview. His guests are first rate.

Edward Scissorhands - I haven't watched this modern classic in years, and my niece, 10, was staying with me, so I suggested we watch it. She hadn't heard of it and I explained the basics to her, and she said ok with the look on her face that showed she was just indulging me. But I had faith, she would love it. And indeed she did, the first 15 minutes or so were filled with questions, excited questions. I explained a few things but finally just told her to sit back and watch. She was transfixed, watching it through her young eyes made this beautiful film even more beautiful. And you know she got it, the bullying, the hurt, the difference, the love. About halfway through I blew her little mind by telling her Edward was Johnny Depp. No way, Captain Jack??? Yep I said, wow, I explained he was in his mid 20s and young, it was a movie from a long time ago (now, we all feel old). She was even more impressed. I then tried to explain the Winona/Johnny thing, but she didn't get that, which makes sense when you think about it. Anyway, I need to rewatch favourites more, the joy they give you is worth bottling.

The Florida Project - nice little movie about a low income community living in motels near to Disney. Willem Dafoe is the manager of one of the motels, and keeps an eye on the kids in the area. Most of them are up to mischief and pushing the limits of the law and Dafoe. The kids - not actors - in this movie are mesmerising and Dafoe is great.

The Mercy - a biopic about Donald Crowhurst (Colin Firth), an amateur sailor, who decides to enter a sailing competition. He was to circumnavigate the world without stopping, but things of horribly wrong. This was ok, I wasn't grabbed by it despite Firth's usual charisma. 

Isle of Dogs - like everything Wes Anderson does, this is a sheer delight. An animated feature about an island where dogs have been sent to live and a young boys mission to find his lost dog. Funny, dark, clever, stunningly presented. Loved this.

What I've Been Listening To

Mostly podcasts, and my 70s radio station. 

I tell a Fly - Benjamin Clementine - a mix of styles, Benjamin's voice is great, his first album is better though.

No comments: