Monday, August 31, 2009

Bananarama

BANANARAMA

Great name, great voice - not many women around at that time in the 80s, even Madonna and Cyndi Lauper were relatively unknown when Bananarama came on the scene. Great harmonies, pure pop, a lot lost in the translation today, but hey it was the 80s and they were fun. Their 'style' questionable - raggy shirts, dirty jeans and tossled hair, badly dyed with sharp makeup - man I wanted that look. Even though I do love Robert De Niro's waiting (talking Italian, and come on we all wish De Niro was waiting!) I have chosen Shy Boy as it was an instant favourite, had not heard it in a while and it took me back to a more innocent time...ironic given the lyrics...

TRACK THIRTEEN: Shy Boy
Basic pop, good vocals and distinctive percussion. Loved the shoop shoop bits and the ahhhs, makes you want to bang a tamborine. What more can I say?

No comments: