Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Christine Aguilera and A-HA

AGUILERA, CHRISTINA

A funny one to add, was never really a fan of Aguilera until I saw her do a James Brown tribute at the Grammys a few years back. I cannot even remember what she sang now (A mans mans mans world maybe?) but she just killed it, I was awestruck - she looked hot and sounded better. I grabbed myself a copy of Stripped and really loved it. In particular, Beautiful, but that has been overdone these days. I just wish she didn't dress so trashy, cause when she dresses herself up she looks stunning...what is it with kids these days???

TRACK FOUR: Candy Man
Great sassy, brassy song that takes you to another time. It is old style yet modern at the same time, fat horns and fat vocals - she makes it seem easy (and no, it is not). I just want to get up and swing when I hear this and really wish I could pull off those vocals.

A-HA

I really do not have much to say about this group, and I do not think I even liked them much when they were out, but their only major hit was an instant classic... you may disagree?

TRACK FIVE: Take on me
Ahh, the electronics of the 80s! Another great pop song, lush sound and great, searing vocals...and okay, pretty kitsch...but I think it still holds up to the test of the time when you hear it. Yes, I even went to the trouble of backing up a copy of A-ha, the singles, 1984-2004. This amuses me to no end, as I really only got it for this one single, not much else stands out and they call it 1984-2004, like maybe, just maybe there might be more...crack me up. Anyway, I like to try and reach the high notes in this song - I cannot, but you know, maybe one day...

I saw Dave McCormack at the Cambridge a few years back (sans Custard) and he played this song...funniest thing I had seen in years. He was excellent - as you can imagine - played everything you wanted to hear and was very witty in between and was talking about covers and this came up. I was gobsmacked, he can hit high notes but surely he was not going to attempt this. No, he did not, he brought out a copy of the actual song, played it to us, drank a glass of red and mimed some funny stuff and was hilarious. Writing this I realise it was a "you had to be there" thing...but anyways....whenever I hear this song (which I liked prior to that moment) I always think of Dave...and that's never a bad thing :)

No comments: