Tuesday, January 17, 2012

THE BLACK SORROWS

THE BLACK SORROWS

Big fan of Joe Camilleri, and loved The Black Sorrows back in the day. I saw them at least twice (recollection hazy), I think once at Newcastle Workers Club and another at The Palais...possibly more! That mid 80s era was hit after hit and I will admit by the mid 90s I had reached saturation point, especially after the supremely talented Bull sisters left the group - they added that something extra to the group that helped them soar.

TRACK ELEVEN: Daughters of Glory
Daughters of Glory, track 1 from Dear Children is almost a rockabilly track, pulls you in from the first crack of the drums and that cowbell. Salacious lyrics and fabulous harmonies...no Bull Sisters on this one, that was yet to come.

This is a dodgy clip from Countdown, watch the bad miming!!


TRACK TWELVE: Hold on to me
If you said to me a decade ago, I would add this to such a project, I would have laughed at you. But, here it is, a classic Sorrows tune...beautiful clear guitar, wonderful lyrics, shining harmonies, a perfect pop tune. I love the clip too, great depiction of Aussie pubs back in the day...oh how I miss that laidback type of pub. Also love the sheer joy of those gorgeous Bull girls and their tambourines...enjoy...

No comments: