Tuesday, January 24, 2012

JEFF BUCKLEY

JEFF BUCKLEY

Jeff... you break my heart, it's just that simple!

Grace is one of my favourite albums, every song a gem, a truly romantic and beautiful album. His voice like a fragile angel, that could crack and break at any moment. His demise is nothing short of legend and tragedy combined, and the mystique it created adds to the beauty of his art.

TRACK THREE: Last Goodbye
Buckley's version of Hallelujah is stunning and unique, there is no doubt about it, but my favourite song is Last Goodbye. In fact, it is one of my all time favourite songs, I never tire of listening to it, it will always raise the hair on the back of my neck and bring a tear to my eye...these are good things!!

It starts like a true mid 90s rock song, very grungy, but then it surprises you with his vulnerable voice, fragile and tender, and builds with the upset and pleading of the subject. Then it soars with the strings and his wailing leading into the chord change and bridge...perfection.

No comments: