Tuesday, January 24, 2012

JAMES BROWN

JAMES BROWN

What can be said about The Godfather of Soul that has not been said before?

He is an oddball, but a great singer and those moves! Sadly, I never saw him perform. I did, however, trek to The Apollo Theatre in Harlem, when I was in New York - oh my, that place is synonymous with James!

My first introduction to him was in my mid teens - I got you (I feel good) was my theme song for some time...to be honest I am tired of it today, it's an obvious choice! Also Living in America was a hit at the time (old and new James!), now that will always get me on the dance floor - who am I kidding, any James will do that!

We all know about the moves, the cape routine ('adopted' from a wrestler), and his absolute demands on his band...he was the Hardest Working Man in Show Business. He used fabulous musicians, but I loved his brass arrangements the most. This is especially depicted in another favourite, Turn me Loose, I'm Dr Feelgood. Late Show aficionados will know it as their theme song...I do not own a copy of this, hence it's glaring omission from the project, but hey I can add it in now!


DISC THREE: TRACK ONE: Papa's got a brand new bag
One of his first big hits, it's classic soul and funk together. That funky guitar riff will never date.


TRACK TWO: Living in America
A contrast to Papa, this is almost rock/funk, very modern, but a fantastic beat. Great clip too, but I need to mention it is from the Rocky IV soundtrack!

2 comments:

Vince Dale said...

I have put down some memories of backing James in 1988.
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1_8tFmlgBxZOlnk7x5uRd8gwErIScbudhNmBe9yBfSdg

Cathy said...

Fantastic memories Vince, great insight and passion...totally missing from what I was trying to convey...thanks for sharing this great piece with everyone!